Monday, July 20, 2009

The Wolf


Our family spent several days last week gleefully enjoying our annual trip to a water park resort! Over the years we have visited several; some located in Iowa and yet others in Wisconsin. This year we returned in full force to one of our favorites, The Great Wolf Lodge located in the Wisconsin Dells. For those of you who have never visited the Dells, it designates itself as the Water park Capital of the World...... and while the area is not steeped in class or culture it IS a fabulous place for families with munchkins to visit and absolutely loads of breathless fun! Picture Vegas for the mini-me set and you get a good idea of the Dells! AND the surrounding area is truly picturesque with its lakes and cliffs.......but our family eschews all of that in favor of rip roaring, face soaking, white knuckled water park splendor. (please cue cheesy National Lampoons Family Vacation music......"Holiday Road") ;)

One of the very best aspects of our trip is that just about our entire clan goes, every year. Both my Dad and BIL were not able to come along, but my Mom, Sis and her 3 kiddos all came & oh how that adds joy to any outing. Plenty of extra hands/arms and always always someone willing to take one or more monkeys to the next big slide or hot pool. The weather was a bit chilly(as this summer seems to be dishing out) and while we did dash outside for a bit, much of our fun was indoors. Thankfully "The Wolf" has plenty to keep everyone busy. We pretty much swam & ate for 3 days straight and I tried to tell myself it was an even trade calorie wise as I lugged those double(or foursome) tubes up 4 flights of stairs.....or more!

Another pleasure was the fact that our Miss Lauren was tall enough to ride even the largest of slides for the first time EVER! She did, in fact, ride each and every slide multiple times, with the exception of the body slide........and she gladly would have signed up for that one too, but Mama said no.(after practically biting her own tongue off going down said slide). AND let it be said that I would have absolutely, without a moments hesitation banned "The Tornado" too, had I ridden it sooner in our travels. When I finally did ride in tandem with Alex, Allison & Lauren I was petrified and feared my slim miss would tumble off during the entire ride. My hands literally shook for 5 minutes after safely landing and my knees jiggled like the jello! And Lauren's reaction? Pure joy.......devilish laughter and a very public announcement about the look of terror on Mama's face! Little stinker.....I had my eyes closed the whole time therefore had no rebuttal! And case you are wondering......THE Tornado begins with a darkened tunnel and 10 ft. drop, swoosh around a few dizzying turns and blast into what looks like GINORMOUS enclosed funnel.....at one point I know we were completely vertical & hurtling at high speed, around & around.......until we plunged downward, "draining" into another winding tunnel of evil and then splashing into the calm waters at the bottom. Ummmm.....my palms are sweaty just thinking about it folks! And yes, Lauren went on to ride the Tornado several more times.......AND she rode about every other water slide with me, Mama and OH, how I love my playtime with my best est girl! Just not the Tornado.....giggle....

The baby of course LOVED it as he adores his Mimi, A. Beth, cousins AND water of any kind. And when I say "love" I mean, adores & relishes water & swimming. If allowed he would crawl right into deep water and probably float with all that hair! :) And just for a laugh I can tell ya all that several Asian families approached me throughout the stay to share that based on his earlobes and dimples he was destined to be both smart and popular. LOL And even funnier is that we have actually heard that before, both from folks at the airport in Taiwan and from my bloggy buddy, Sarah K. of Taiwankiddo2!! When you travel with baby, you get lots & lots of attention and we didn't mind a bit. But just imagine our giggles when not one but TWO people told us that we have a "beautiful baby girl." Hmmmm....maybe the hair? Course he was wearing boy trunks and really IS all boy! I love it and don't mind a bit, cuz he is beautiful in his own boy way! At any rate Tyler had FUN and when he wasn't swimming or splashing in the wave pool he was sleeping(i.e. resting up) for the next swim!

Finally, for many many years while saving & scraping for the chance to make our dream of a second adoption come true, this little trip was the only trip financially feasible for our family and in large part only possible due to the generosity of my folks. This year, we maybe could have ventured further away or taken a lengthier trip, but you know what???........we just wouldn't trade this family time at a water park for ANYTHING! It suits us to a tee and we were simply delighted to finally have our baby dumpling along for the splashing! He fit right in! :)



My magical mermaid right at home in the water!


Baby Tyler sitting sweetly in the zero depth.



Funny tidbit: when we first picked up Tyler he had this silly habit of growling and then giggling at his own wit; we haven't heard the "growl" in months, so it was hilarious to see him channel the growl to take on this outside fountain......LOVING this expression & hair! ;)


Sitting pretty!! Another polka-dotted moment!


Asleep in Mimi's arms.......or just pretending to sleep, so he could tackle the next round of water?? Look at those cheeks!



Lauren & Allison braving the chilly temps to ride the big one outside!


Just love this one of Alyssa and baby.



All the cousins, minus one...Tyler was either sleeping or eating when this was taken! LOL


P.S. If you are wondering where the pictures are of me......har-har....not a chance my friends! :)

If you are wondering where the pictures are of my Sister and Mom......Beth threatened to post pics. of me on her Facebook wall if I so much as showed a peek of her legs.....LOL....soooo not gonna call that bluff......and my Mom said, "no way please". :) Scott made it into several but still has to put together our new chariot for our baby boy ( finally broke down and replaced the old stroller......can't WAIT to use the new wheels!) so........need to keep him happy too!

Thanks for stopping by everyone!! Appreciate each and every visit and comment!! :)



15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! I had to go to a hotel-water park as part of my nanny job and I was totally dreading it but I ended up having so much fun!

Casey said...

Looks so fun!!! Great pictures.

Mark & Kris said...

Lisa, great pictures!!! Looks like you had a wonderful time! Kris

Wanda said...

What a fun family time. I love that it has becomne a yearly tradition. They are just so important for fams like ours.

Love your sense of humor, girl.

:)

Wanda

QingLu Mama said...

Lisa! These are some incredible pictures! I have looked at them over and over and you totally captured some awesome moments! It looks like you had a wonderful time and I am putting this spot on my short list of vacation destinations! Pack up the station wagon, here we come!
I am so glad you had a chance to get here with the family this year, I can see the pure joy of being together on all of the kids faces. I love that Tyler enjoys the water so much! And that hair...I laugh everytime I see it all wild. Seriously, who could ever mistake that handsome boy for a girl!!!???
And Lauren, you are far more brave than I am! There is NO WAY I'd get on that crazy Tornado....
I am so glad you had such a great trip. I owe you an email and promise to write very soon!!

Journey to our baby said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun! The Dells are a good time for a quick family trip. Good times!

Anne Marie said...

Oh, Lisa, does that look like fun! Can you believe I have lived in the Chicago area my whole life and have never been to the Dells? Alex would love it so much :)

See you Saturday!

momwithfaithandhope said...

Look like a blast, and I wouldn't call your sister's bluff on the pics either!!! Your mermaid is so beautiful, and Tyler looks so much like a boy, I can't believe he's mistaken for a girl - must be the hair!

Anonymous said...

so much fun. I can't wait to take Luv Bug to our local amusement park.

R... said...

Oh, that looks like the PERFECT summer vacation spot! Our Island Boy loves water - actually, we all do, so now I'm itching to find a water park around here!

couey2007 said...

He is getting so big! I love his hair! Brooke's is SLOWLY growing. I'm glad you all had a great time!

Cindy LaJoy said...

We looked at going there last year and staying at the very same place...good to hear it should remain on our list of possible vacation destinations!
And as for "look at those cheeks"...I was mroe taken with his lips! He reminded me SO MUCH of our son Matthew at that age, and even now when he sleeps :-)

Staci said...

Love these pictures!! Looks like you all had a great time! :)

rachel said...

wow, lisa, looks like so much fun!!!! i love all your pics (as always) and again (as always), your kids are both stunning. like model gorgeous! i would like to see a pic of you more often, though, my dear!

The Hernandez Herd said...

Love the sleeping picture,Victoria JOH