Monday, March 7, 2011

It's Never Easy.......

saying goodbye. :)

But that's just what I'm going to do, at least with regards to my blog. This is something I have been considering for quite a few months now; months spent vacillating between feeling its the right time and then again maybe not.

I think part of my indecision has been due to how much I have loved and enjoyed this blog. Never would I have guessed, over 2 and half years ago, when I stumbled through my first tentative post, the joys, challenges, friendships, stories and memories created with each tap of a keystroke and each decision ( sometimes followed by a deep breath) to Publish Post.

More than once I sat down to ruminate over something tugging at my thoughts or wished only to share a bit of happenstance here and ended up with something completely different by post's end. Those were probably my most challenging ones as I always wondered if it was meant to be shared; with only one exception, I always went forward, trusting that if it was important enough to nudge something else from the forefront, then it needed to said. Each time it was received with grace and understanding by so many of you!

Initially my intentions were to use this blog as a forum to share our news and updates (with family and friends ) about our Baby Boy and snippets of the journey along the way. I'm so thankful that it became so much more than that ~ at least for me.

I peek back at photos of my precious kiddos and am surprised anew at the swift passage of time. While I have not always been faithful to keeping scrapbooks updated this time around, this blog has stood in, capturing moments, moods, toothless grins, chubby cheeks, babes in the bath, sibling moments, memories, milestones and lots more.

On occasion it allowed me to advocate for causes I treasure and explore adoption as it relates to our family.

And something else too..........it brought me friendships and unique connections. As I look back at some of the first comments (received) I am so humbled to still have so many of those folks in my life; many of whom I have met and some I still have yet to! These were the Mamas who celebrated each little step along the way to Tyler; who collectively helped to hold me together when the path got bumpy and later reached out with patience and compassion during those jet lagged nights in Taiwan when I missed one child dearly, while still getting to know another. These were the Mamas who always remembered to "make" over Lauren too, knowing that , blog title aside, our destination has always been family first.

And I'm equally grateful for the friends who joined us later and laughed along with the toddler chapters and grade school escapades ~ they opened their hearts to our family while letting me get to know and love their own. What a tremendous gift it has been for me!

Some friends preferred to read along silently or send personal emails. I have treasured you all and feel blessed to count each of you among my friends. I have rejoiced in your good news, as so many miracle babies and children found their way home. Blog or no blog, I take those friendships with me and absolutely will be checking in on all of you who continue to share your joys and moments by blog! How could I do otherwise?!?

But for me? It's just time. My sweet & insightful bloggy friend Rachel asked if Face Book was one reason for stopping. In truth it is a factor but this is something I considered long before joining FB. What FB does allow however, is for the connection to remain to so many of you who have come along this journey with me. AND that? ......does make it all the easier to step away from this.

And I know with absolute clarity that I'm going to miss it. Already there are things we have planned or are anticipating this Spring that will be tempting to document through this blog. But I always said that if I couldn't do it justice, or the boundaries got blurred or if I couldn't be assured of relative safety for my family in blogging, then I would step away. Its meant too much to me to only visit monthly or let it languish. I do intend to keep it open for the the time being as I so loved and appreciated exploring blogs of the BTDT before me.

What I have shared is pretty much.....well......me. An optimistic realist ( a twice blessed Mama ) who tried always to keep it pretty real, while not always sharing the minutia of every squabble, pet peeve or bad mood. I always kind of figured we all had enough of that stuff in our daily lives that no one needed or wanted to read about it here! LOL

I could say that I did it all for the kids and while I do hope and pray that someday this is a form of keepsake for them both, honestly I think I ultimately wrote for me. Cuz I knew how fast it could go and I wanted to capture small moments of it, forever. All of you were part of that and I'm so lucky and happy that you were! Thank you!

Someday I may decide to blog again but I don't expect to do so on this site again. Two years home now with our Taiwan Treasure and this April we celebrate eight years home with our beautiful Kazakhstan Princess (eight years!!!) ; the time feels right to close this chapter......knowing the journey still continues. Thanks so much friends!!!

XOXO

Lisa

24 comments:

The Hernandez Herd said...

Oh, I am going to miss sharing in your journey!I hope you have a book made to treasure your adventures. You are free to stop by our blog and say hello now and then.
Victoria and the Hernandez family

Journey to our baby said...

Auwww, I have tears in my eyes reading this. I am so grateful for your friendship also over the years (yes, it has been years already) and so look forward to physically meeting in Texas this summer. We are so lucky to have our group of families and even though this blog will be closing, we have created these friendships and that's what matters in the end, and such a blessing.

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Oh this makes me so sad!! I totally understand, and myself ponder the same thoughts. We just have too many family members that we don't see often enough to quit with a mutiny.
So blessed to be friends with you and for us to have foster siblings!! I know we will always be in contact and better yet a real hug is coming round the bend very soon, although you are so amazing with words they have encouraged me and mended feelings in such a way I felt like you had hugged me and flashed the warm inviting smile of yours!!!

Give those kidlet's hugs from us

Jules and Hayden

minime0910 said...

How sad I was to read this!! You are such a wonderful writer, and even though we only hung out for a little while at KP this year, I feel like I know you so well through your blog! I will all your updates on the kids and your wonderful family life, but we will keep in touch through emails. I am continuing my blog (I have lots of out of town friends are relatives who aren't on facebook yet) but taking it private. I kept it public for a while, I feel like I wanted to share my adoption journey with all of the other families who shared theirs with me, but now that it is over, it's time to keep it for my close friends...of which I consider you one :-) Kiss those beautiful babies for me!! See you in June! Erin
PS ~ Can we talk Disney sometime soon?? I am still worried about doing 3 parks in 3 days with a not-yet-two year old and a VERY active seven year old!

Lisa said...

OHHHHHHH... I enjoy reading your blog.. So many of those I follow have stopped blogging.. I think you need to start another blog so that you can share your words.. you are soo good at that.. make it generic so noone knows about your kiddos or personal stuff.. You should be a writer.. Well I know that the blog isnot the end for our friendship..I will see ya soon.
Lisa

Shirley H. said...

Awww~ i will miss your blog and your lovely comments~

michelle said...

Lisa,
I'm so glad that we became friends through your blog and I will definitely miss your beautiful posts that always bring a tear to my eyes. I hope we can still stay in touch through emails and FB. And thank you for always leaving a kind word on my blog.

Give Tyler and Lauren hugs from Lexie and we can't wait to see you in August!

Love ya, michelle & lexie

Wanda said...

Oh, my heart is a bit heavy. (No guilt!) Just that I will miss hearing your words, feeling your heart and warmth and seeing those two beautiful faces. (Well....4 really.)

But I do understand. There is a season for everything and it sounds like you've wanted this for awhile. Lisa - don't stop writing. Write that book or magazine articles or another blog. You've been gifted - you can't hide it. (Said lovingly.)

I will always remember the way you so warmly reached out to me, sweet friend. And how I could sense your heart with each post and comment (and e-mail). I know we'll keep in touch and it's my hope that we really will meet, face to face, one day.

A bientot, dear Lisa!!
xoxoxxo

Buckeroomama said...

I haven't been visiting for long, but I have grown to enjoy reading about your two lovelies. I wish you all the best with the rest of your journey... Blessings. :)

Kelli said...

All good things...I will so so miss your posts! I am glad we have FB so I can still check in with you and those gorgeous kiddos! Thank you for all of your supportive, wonderful comments over the past year or so. Of course, you can always keep reading :).

Staci said...

I totally understand..your posts will be missed very much. So blessed to have found your friendship through our adoption connection. Can't wait to finally meet this summer! See you on FB.

Dianne said...

I truly understand but am so going to miss reading about your two precious children! Thanks for all of your sweet comments on my new blog! I can't wait to meet you in person in August!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Oh my gosh! I'm a wee bit weepy reading this! Part of me is stunned, and the other part of me is not surprised at all. Is that weird?! Maybe it's because we've briefly discussed this before... but to actually do it!? Wow. Completely different. I'm so very sad, but you know I wish you only the best. I'm so grateful for FB right about now though... and please, whatever you do, still write! You're amazing at it.

Sarah said...

GASP!!!! Let me catch my breath before I can write any more.

I'm surprised, but totally understand. I will so miss your occasional post where you share your heart with the world. Many of your mama posts have brought tears to my eyes.

Please keep in touch. Please keep sharing on FB. Please have people keep inviting me to your area's festivals so I can continue to meet up with you in person! :)

Lou Ann said...

Lisa, like everyone else, I understand - I think?!! But don't forget that a blog is what you want it to be. So even if it's just an occasional proud mommy post or you are someone who writes everyday - it's all good. But to not hear your "voice" on so many subjects is what I think is making everyone sad. That darn FaceBook...I am not a fan but I think I'm going to have to become one.

I will miss your posts here but I hope to met you IRL someday and in the mean time I'll have to check out facebook more and hope to hear your "voice" on my blog comments occasionally.

Thanks for sharing your heart on this wonderful blog,
Lou Ann & Lexie too

lorabelle said...

Awww man...(woman)!
Well okay, I guess there's still facebook. But facebook only allows "just so many words" per thought, and quite frankly there are just times when I need to hear more about you, your Kazakhstan Princess & Taiwan Treasure...
If you happen to relocate or create a new blog, please forward an invite. I'd love to pop in from time to time. Until then, Thankgoodness for FB and our reunion in August!


Thank goodness for FB

Room for More said...

Oh Lisa, I am going to miss your insightful and humbling posts. Your words have always been such a blessing to my heart. I am not on FB, so please stay in touch when you can? You have been such an encouragement to me over the last few years through the highs and lows of it all. I hope we can meet someday! ajourneyoflove AT gmail DOT com. (((HUGS)))

Michele M said...

We are sure going to miss your "way with words" and seeing those sweet and beautiful kiddos faces!

So happy to have met you and of course we will keep in touch through email and FB

Loveya

Mama Shoe said...

I totally understand, I go back and forth about blogging too. But I'm glad we got to "meet" in this blog world, even though it was short. Best wishes to you and your family. I have your email still (you have mine too, right?) and if you're ever in our part of the world, please say hi- don't be shy!

Mark & Kris said...

so sorry to see you stop but totally understand!! I never seem to get a chance to update my blog and have thought about stopping as well. Glad we can keep in touch through facebook.

LivingSimply, SimplyLiving said...

Sorry you decided to stop blogging but so HAPPY you are on facebook..you no know that was a decision I had to make as well...but I am thrilled to keep up with you there..send my an email..tacatc@aol.com

Jackie said...

I cannot believe it has been 8 years since your girl has been home! Whoa does time fly, or what?! I am so thankful to have met and kept up with you thru blogland. I am SAD that you are finishing your time blogging on this blog. BUT, to me, it means you are feeling settled after 2 years of life at home with your boy. Your blog title says it all...destination taiwan. You and your family are no longer in destination mode. You are home! You have fought thru those sometimes hard first years home and have made it! Congratulations. It takes great strength, love, devotion and a great sense of humore to be you. I know. It's what I do too. I cherich your words here and thank you for sharing your lives with us. May I FB YOU!?!?!? Love, Jackie

Room for More said...

Hi Lisa,
I wanted you to know our sweet baby girl through embryo adoption has arrived! If you have time to stop by our blog (since I am not on FB) I'd love for you to!

Love, Shannon
www.roomformorekiddos.com

Anonymous said...

Hi! I believe you’ll be interested in the blog telling about the life in Shpola orphanage, Ukraine. Subscribe to getting latest blog posts and news here https://hopenowusa.org