Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Short Story


I just have to share this small story and do promise to keep it short! Tyler is eyeballing me with skepticism and crawling this way as I type, so he can keep me honest! :)
Earlier this afternoon while grocery shopping with Tyler I bumped into a neighbor who also happens to originally be from China. During our catch-up she began to chatter with Tyler in Mandarin (the language spoken in Taiwan) using some words she thought he might be familiar with such as, "bottle", "dinner", "yum-yum", "park", and so on. He was listening to her with rapt attention, smiling and babbling away throughout. He was obviously delighted, very intrigued & recognized the words.
Just before parting to finish up our shopping she tossed out one final phrase and he went CRAZY with joy! He quickly looked at me, began to bob up & down in the cart, clap his hands and grin wildly! She did it again with the same reaction. She then quietly shared that she had been saying, "I love you" to him in Mandarin.
Oh, my heart just about did flip flops in that moment and I nearly wept with joy! She continued to linger and offered to assist me in learning that one phrase. I was so appreciative and practiced all the way home in the car. Once home I sat him down, looked right into his eyes and repeated it the best I could. *sniffle* ........he just stared and stared, then lifted his pudgy tiny hand to my cheek and leaned forward to share one of his open mouthed baby kisses. My heart almost burst.........for of course I (we) had been telling him that in English over & over, but this was the first time I was able to share it in his first language.
It also fills my heart with such immense gratitude for his beautiful Foster Mom who I already knew had taken such loving and excellent care of him during our wait. But to know that she also showered him in words of love is simply amazing. Our gratitude for her is so huge and I hope that others reading this whose babies/children are waiting rest easier knowing that angels tend to their little ones in our absence.

22 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh Lisa, so beautiful... it is too bad these little things are not shared with us. Tyler is so sweet!!!
LOL
Lisa R

couey2007 said...

What a great story to share. I had tears in my eyes!!!

Michelle C, AL JOH

Staci said...

What a sweet story, I have tears in my eyes. Now I'm going to make sure I learn this so I can say it to Jake!
Hugs,
staci

Michele M said...

Love the story...so sweet.

Anne Marie said...

OK, I am crying big tears now. That is the best story I have ever heard. You are so blessed.

(My word verification is "waters"...hmm, do you think the computer can see the tears in my eyes?)

Anne Marie said...

Back to this post again to say that I really needed a lift in my spirits today, and I am so glad I visited your blog because I got exactly what I needed!

Journey to our baby said...

Thank you so much for sharing this Lisa, this is so special. Even though we don't have a little one in foster care yet, knowing this makes me feel better about the time spent away from us, knowing that she will be loved. Everything happens for a good reason, and it is a good thing you went shopping at that time!

Cheryl said...

Oh I LOVE it!!!
What a valuable gift! A priceless gift! So glad God orchestrated that for you!!! It makes my heart sing!!

loffer said...

Lisa,

What a sweet story! I am just convinced that our babies receive such good care with their foster families in Taiwan. How precious that he remembered those words (were they something like "Wo Ai Ni"?) I know, though, that Tyler knew that you loved him long before your could say the words in Mandarin!



Lora O.

Terry said...

That is a beautiful story! I needed a tissue before I finished reading your story. What a great show of the love & care the children receive in foster care. This is a must learn before we travel! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Shirley H. said...

WO AI NI~

its amazing! great story!

Kerry said...

Beautiful, Lisa. I can only imagine how much emotion you felt. What a wonderful realization (or reminder.) So much love for your Tyler.

Mark & Kris said...

Lisa, that is just the sweetest story! Tyler is such a honey!

rachel said...

beautiful, heart-warming story!

QingLu Mama said...

Ok, Lisa, this was so amazing and wonderful to read.
I had to read it, go away for an hour to stop the tears...(tears of joy for you and Tyler, and for the joy of knowing how well our babies are being loved)...and then I came back and read it again. And yep, still crying.

It is so great to hear how well and obvious Tyler was loved.
And his reaction to YOU when you said it, he knew it was his Mama's love and replied with his sweet kiss! Oh, melting heart...

Thank you for sharing this, what a great feeling you have given to all of us waiting to pick up our babies. To know just how deeply they are being loved and how well they are taken care of while so far away from us is a great relief.

w8tn4 said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes! Your post on our blog brought me here and I must say that I have enjoyed sharing in your blog for a long time now! Thanks for the uplifting story... and I can only hope that our precious little boy is hearing those same loving words.

Disneyizlife
w8tn42and3

Sarah said...

I'm crying uncontrollably... that it so sweet...

momwithfaithandhope said...

Tyler is so sweet, and so full of joy. What a great story. I can't believe he's already talking! Amazing, and yes, watching the sibling's bond (and fight in our household) is incredible (and funny!)

Tish said...

tear jerker!!!!! what a sweet post! and a precious memory for you to hold in your heart!

Jackie said...

Wow. How precious is that memory!? And, what special care he had before coming home! My baby heard Mandarin and English and that story just touched my heart so much! Thank you for sharing! xoxo, Jackie

Carrie S. said...

What a beautiful story and so comforting!! Miss You too!
Carrie S.

Anonymous said...

What a great story! Thank you for sharing!