Thursday, April 15, 2010

Lauren


In April of 2003 we embarked on a remarkable journey to bring home our precious baby girl. Our travels took us around the world ( and back again ) and while aspects of our travels were daunting ~ we would do it a million & one times over again for the gift of this beautiful baby ~ the baby we were blessed to find in Kazakhstan ~ our Lauren.

Last year I shared with you all a longer summary of our time in Kazakhstan, of its raw ~ almost harsh beauty and landscape ~ of its solemn, courteous and courageous people ~ of the many acts of kindness bestowed upon us from virtual strangers.......of one sweet tiny infant girl who opened her heart to us in all the important and big ways, making us the parents & family we are today. Looking at the photo above.....seeing those eyes peering over Scott's shoulder ~ I'm right back there; standing in a Babyhouse in a remote corner of Kazakhstan, watching the moments tumble by that would become the bedrock ~ the threads ~ of our family history. Seeing in those eyes both a keen curiosity and probably bits of trepidation, for we were still strangers to this child. I wrote last year ( Her Story: April 21st, 2009) that the moment ~ that very first time ~ I gazed into those eyes it was instant clarity.......... I was home ~ I was her Mama ~ and so very blessed. Still very far away from the place we called home....but "home" just the same.

7 years doesn't seem like such a great span of time and there are still moments I see bits of that baby in my 7 year old big girl today. Her spirit, infectious laugh, intellect, compassion, mischievous twinkle all still remain. The cheeks have thinned and the legs are much longer......more hair to style and once in a while an abundant stubborn streak too. An amazing big sister now too. 7 years ago an angel found her way into our arms ~ how thankful and fortunate we are for the miracle of this child. How amazing it still seems, despite this passage of time that we were chosen to shepherd this remarkable child of God and delight daily in all that she is.....all that she was.....and all she has yet to become. How lucky we are to watch her continued journey and story unfold each day.





Lauren,
Never forget for a moment how loved & cherished you are and by so many. On April 18th, 2003 a judge in Karakastek, Kazakhstan made official what we already knew in our hearts. On that day, our adoption decree was granted ~ we passed court ~ and became a joyous family of 3. We spent 3 weeks in your country of birth, with many highlights throughout our stay; but on this day we knew without hesitation that we were yours' ~ always & forever
Thank you for finding your way to us............the joy you have brought us over these past 7 years is beyond measure. It was the gift & staggering bliss of you that gave us the courage to find your incredible baby brother last year ~ he too is part of your legacy.
I love you, always & forever.
xoxo
Mama

24 comments:

Staci said...

What a precious picture of Lauren as a baby!! Happy 7 years with your baby girl. She has certainly grown into a beautiful little lady.

Thank you so much for your super sweet congrats on Jayden :) Can't wait to get him home!

Unspoken said...

She is beautiful and I you are all lucky to have one another :)!~

Wanda said...

What a beautiful resume of this wonderful treasure you have been blessed to call YOURS for the past 7 years. I'm sure you continue to pinch yourself - to make sure she is really real. And she is, your sweet Lauren. What a beauty she is - inside and out.

I can feel how you must look deep into her eyes and know that all is right with the world.

Congratulations to a very blessed, beautiful and happy family!

Hugs,
W

Tracy Ann said...

What a beautiful girl. Your story and your writing is so touching. Made me cry.

Tracy

LivingSimply, SimplyLiving said...

What a beautiful account of your life and your sweet baby girls.
What a blessed family you truly are. Many, many more blessed years together:)
Annmmarie
btw...everytime I see your sweet Lauren..it is as if I KNOW Her..she resembles my niece so MUCH.

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Bawling here! Thanks for sharing!

hugs
Tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

lorabelle said...

Your letter to Lauren really touched me. I sometimes wonder if other mothers feel the way I did when I first set eyes on my daughter. Reading your letter makes me think that you must have felt the same way...
Those pictures of Lauren are wonderful. She is such a stunning little lady.!

Lisa said...

Your words always leave me either laughing, crying or wishing for more. I love that you said you got clarity when you looked into her eyes... If I had thought those words that is exactly what happened when I looked into Paige's eyes... Ya know your Lauren is gorgeous..... Big HUGS.
Lisa

Kelli said...

All of these "truths" are making me a weepy mess tonight. This is a beautiful post. Just as beautiful as your gorgeous daughter. That first picture just took my breath away. Thank you for sharing!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Oh, what a beautiful post! It gives me goosebumps just reading it... ok, and maybe a tear or two.

I adore that "early" shot of your girl and I love the being able to see the glimmer of the beautiful girl (inside and out) that she is becoming.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Terry said...

Aww, you made the tears well up, again! I love that baby picture of Lauren and remember you telling her story last year. Yes, tears welled up then too! :-) I remember having so many of those feelings and memories come back when we first met our daughter. What an amazing time full of those moments when you just 'knew' that love, was there.

Lauren is a beautiful young girl and your proud momma feelings are shining brightly tonight! I can see them through my happy tear filled eyes!

I need another tissue..... :-)
What a wonderful family you have ~
Congrats on 7 awesome years

Mama Shoe said...

That is so sweet. You've shown her so much love, she's blessed to call you mommy.

momwithfaithandhope said...

Love the baby photo of Lauren. She looks so peaceful. . .she knew she was "home". Happy seven years and may the years to come continue to be joyous! You are blessed to call Lauren your daughter, but she is equally blessed to call you her mother. Enjoy your baby girl! She's as beautiful as the day you set your eyes upon her, and God must have had you in mind when He created her!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Congratulations on so many wonderful years together as a family!

Anonymous said...

Just popping in to say Hi. I have been reading up as much as I can. The fundraiser is over and now I can get back to a life! She is beautiful and your story is wonderful.

rachel said...

wow, what a beautiful post, lisa. it brought tears to my eyes. happy seven years!

much love!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Shirley H. said...

Lauren is a beautiful angel(love her smile).. Tyler(love his cuteness and bombastic hair~~).. A beautiful family =)

Thanks for the sweet comments.. =)

Yep! I'm re-visiting Taipei on the 29th May.. A 5 days trip.. I will take more photos.. hehe~

jenbusymom said...

Happy 7th anniversary! My Caitie turned 7 last week, where does the time go!

CamelsNDragons said...

What beautiful children you have!
They really do become more wonderous with every passing moment. I can't even imagine our Kaz. princess at seven. I just know she will be a lot of fun when we can do more complex projects together like sewing. Thank you for the visit to my blog and for the comment.
It did finally go through

QingLu Mama said...

Oh Lisa...what a lovely way to celebrate your Family Day, with a beautiful post like this!
I so clearly remember your post last year, and it brought tears to my eyes, as did this one. Your emotions of that day are written so vividly, the feelings of anxiety and joy intermingled...I once again walked beside you on your path to Lauren!

Lauren is obviously such an amazing girl and you are a beautiful family!

Thanks for sharing such a huge milestone and personal day with us!
Hugs
Jen

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Hernandez Herd said...

There is nothing as precious as that picture when you first meet. I love it!! We are back from Taiwan and trying to get back on track. The trip was great and an adventure. Our little one is finally sleeping through the night. So we are all happy.Thanks for your support on this journey,Victoria

Michele M said...

Love this girl...she is so precious and a great blessing.