Monday, December 6, 2010

The Big Man in Red.........Himself

A few weekends back we awoke to a Saturday that had no immediate obligations OR in other words an occurrence so rare that it isn't even recognized in most dictionaries or encyclopedias. The kind of day you dare not whisper aloud lest you find yourself suddenly earnestly scrubbing those neglected floors, cleaning out the closet of no return or worse, your oldest child answers the ever persistent knocking door *ringing doorbell* to admit one or more (ready to play!) kiddos from "the hood".

So we did what any other rational and sane 'parentals' do, thrust the children into a semblance of Christmas finery, loaded the knapsack :) with fundamentals ( mostly kid stuff and my Carmax), squeezed toddler boy chariot into rear of mini van and dashed to the mall in search of bargains and the Big Guy Himself. Oh, knocked back a few Diet Cokes too........I mean I'm not Wonder Woman ya know! :)~

Oooh...rubbing hands together with glee here because you see it worked out splendidly ~ low crowds ( it was still November after all and all Pre Black Friday), no wait for Santa and Daddy was in tow to distract said munchkins while Mama shopped. Oh sweet bliss!!

But I digress. (Shopping I say.....shopping!!) This year's trip to Santa was marked by one very unique experience in that it was our first successful trip to Santa, EVER! For you see each previous year, usually with just our best girl, we would gussy up, stand in what felt like the line from....well, "Foreversville" only to witness her change of heart as her turn neared. Year after year...........2 years in a row we even took the train ride with Santa and pictures we got, but mostly of Me standing by Santa and Lauren in my arms as far over from Santa as humanly possible in the narrow aisle of a train car.

Last year, emboldened by her gaggle of girlfriends, she did finally sit on Santa's lap at a school function (pretty cute stuff too!) but of course our Little Man would only peer out from the safety of my shoulder.

So really? We had no illusions about this year. None. But a funny and wonderful notion kept coming up, prompted by ( of all people) Tyler. HE really really wanted to see Santa and his Big Sis gamely agreed, cause honestly she can't really say no to him anyways. (Unless he's touching her beloved Squinkees or D.S game). Could you look into those dimples and begrudge him?

So we packed the family sleigh and sailed (over the river & through the woods!) to the mall. Delighted we were to find NO LINE for Santa and by golly Tyler marched right up (first) and waited patiently to be lifted high, all the while smiling with glee at the bearded one. No fear ~ no hesitation! Lauren followed and once settled BOTH kids posed for a photo.........at the same time! Looking (at the camera) I mean. Both kids!! :)

And when asked what they would like, Lauren responded with a go-cart ( I know) or a kitten. ( yeah, I know) And Tyler? Who had waited weeks for this moment, blurted out..............

Strawberries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yup. Strawberries.

And Santa? Bless his heart, he chortled ( oh yes, he really did ) cocked an eyebrow and said that while that was a first for him, he thought he could manage it and maybe tuck in a surprise or two also. LOVE Santa!

Turns out? Tyler wants strawberry gum and he's still chattering up a storm about his 2 visits to "Santa Claussen".

Ho! Ho! Ho! Here's hoping a bit of strawberry gum finds its way into every stocking this year!!! And maybe a go-cart??? *gulp*
And the extra cutie in this photo? Mimi K. couldn't resist a Santa photo over Thanksgiving weekend with cousin Alyssa and Tyler once again requested strawberries....but this time he added the gum part. ;) Plus do you spy Lauren's boots? She calls them her "fashion heels" and its nothing short of a Christmas miracle that she is able to walk in them and stay upright! And ladies she can run like the wind in them.........I've seen her!!! :0

13 comments:

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Wow you are brave if he has had gum....I am not that brave yet(you are my hero) I am certain Santa will never forget to bring the strawberry gum, it was probably his easist request to date. And well that go-cart, hopefully his sleigh is a 4x4 this year!!

Can't believe you have such a great photo....congrats and enjoy it is a rare find!! I may never get a photo of my child with that jolly man....but a donkey(why yes of course) LOL

Love the boots, and tell her I would like some lessons in walking and running in them as I have not mastered that skill yet.

funny, funny!!! These kids are funny!!

michelle said...

Such beautiful pictures and it definitely is a feat to have everyone look in the same direction and smile.

Tyler is such a cutie and to ask for strawberry gum. That just tickled my heart!

This won't be our year with Santa. Lexie avoids eye contact with him at the malls. She did watch the video but was more interested when she saw pictures of the her and the doggies.

Wanda said...

Two??? Wow. And look how a year can change things. Brave sweet Lauren looking awfully comfortable up there.

Strawberry gum. Be still my heart. - what a sweet boy!!!

So happy to see all the holiday cheer here. Have a great week, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Two Santa pictures! Be still my heart! I don't have a single photo of all my kids with The Scary Man in Red. Not one of them would ever go near the guy, not even to ask for strawberry gum! At least your little man will be easy to please this year!

Tracy Ann said...

aaww, strawberry gum, that is so sweet! This is truly a precious picture. My Anna also dislikes Santa, and has yet to go near him. You have inspired me to try again.

rachel said...

darling! i love it!

and a go cart? that's a pretty big request. good luck with that one,mama! :)

minime0910 said...

That definitely looks like the REAL Santa to me!! What a cute pic!!! Can't wait to see the card, glad you liked ours!!! xoxo ~Erin

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

OK, I just snorted coffee up my nose when I read the part about strawberries! Tyler, you are FUNNY! I love it! (I also love your shoes buddy!)

And I love love love the photo of them with him. Precious!

Room for More said...

Your kiddos are so photogenic! Great post!
p.s. thank you for the continued encouragement to us on our blog. As we get closer, I am constantly fighting fear and nervousness it is a blessing to know that my friends are right there with us! : ) wuv u!

Kelli said...

It's all about the gum isn't it :)? Aiden likes strawberry gum too! Cute picture of the two darling kiddos and the man in red. Hooray for successful Santa visits!

Buckeroomama said...

Hooray for a successful visit with Santa!

LOL! I know about lining up forever only to have them change their minds when you're almost at the front of the line. =)

We queued up for a sitting with Santa after we saw "The Snowman and the Bear" 2 weeks ago and while both kids were excited and got their picture taken with Santa, when the pictures came out, I was disappointed --not because the kids were not smiling or looking at the camera, but Santa's eyes were "dead" (!). No life in them. He had a stare that said, "Ugh, I wish this gig will be over soon!" Rather sad. :(

Staci said...

Love the Santa pics! Haven't gotten around to blogging, but wanted you to know we got FINAL!!!!!!!!!!!

QingLu Mama said...

What a sweet and wonderful tale you wove for our pleasure! I love this story and I think every Mama can relate.... to the possibility of easy shopping, that fear of Santa finally passing and the idea of both kids looking at the camera at the same time!

The photo is darling, a keeper for sure!

Jen
ps...love Laurens boots and I can only imagine how fast she can go in them, feeling like a super star all the way!