Thursday, September 4, 2008

School Days


Okay, so I'm a bit behind in posting as school actually began this past Tuesday. Lauren has been so eager and excited all summer long to start Kindergarten and I wanted to share a few photos of her first day of school. Kindergarten marks a big milestone both for the kiddos in question and their folks. Some of you know that I can be prone to that Mama syndrome of what I fondly call, " misty-eyed moments" and this one certainly qualified! As much as I knew she was ready and as much as I want this for her ( and want it to go well!! ) there was a small part of me aching just a bit for our old routine and to wrap my arms around her and keep her close/safe for just another moment.....another hug...another shared giggle....another moment of discovery...another moment before she becomes a 'grade schooler'. And that folks is the misty-eyed monster in me!
Now the logical part of me knows her school is amazing and trusts that her teacher will keep her passion for learning ablaze while introducing her to all kinds of wondrous things throughout the school year....but in that moment, as I watched her skip up to the school entrance & look back at me with a radiant & confident smile.....for just that moment, I wanted to freeze time.........for only a moment.
P.S. In the days that followed that "moment" I can say that it has been pure pleasure watching our baby girl adjust to the big changes and flourish in school. She loves her teacher and classmates alike and I am amazed at all the things they have already done this week! So for now the "misty-eyed monster" is watching with pride, joy and dry eyes! :) Lord help me when she starts First Grade and attends school full day! LOL

8 comments:

Anne Marie said...

Oh, Lauren is just beautiful -- look at that beaming smile! I totally understand the misty-eyed monster, believe me. I also understand wanting to simultaneously freeze time and yet taking so much pride as they grow and accomplish new things! Oh, motherhood is a little bittersweet at times!

Angel said...

So, is she going all day?? I'm going to be a misty-eyed monster when Josiah goes to kindergarten too! I can't imagine him being gone all day! Lauren looks adorable and so ready to go!

Lisa said...

AM,
Oh gosh, you summed up all my feelings so beautifully! I knew other Moms would completely 'get it'! Glad I'm not the only "misty-eyed monster" in town! :)
Angel,
No, Woodstock is still half day, which makes me seem even more sappy. LOL We still have our cherished mornings together, so I know I should not even be so crazy! :) And she is soooo happy at school!
Thanks ladies for the support and sweet thoughts!
Lisa

Lisa said...

You know I totally understand that misty eyed monster. Kindergarten goes down as one of the hardest days of my life. A mixture of excitement and sadness...not unlike leaving for college.

Lauren is gorgeous... I love how they all look so shiny, happy and ready to go on the first day.
LOL
Lisa R.

Becky said...

I cannot believe our girl started school this week - Look how beautiful she is in her pictures! We hated to hear there was a snag last week in the paperwork but glad it's fixed and we're rolling again with faith that the next steps will go well. Hugs and Love to you all! Becky & Mike
(Scott's mom)

Sarah and Dan Sullivan said...

You did good mom!! Lauren is obviously so happy to be in school and not too nervous to be without you. You've done your job beautifully!! Our son started Kindergaten last year and eventhough it was a full day program I had him go only half the day until after Christmas. What's the rush?? They're going to be doing this for the next 13 years, right?

Michele M said...

Lisa, Lauren is just as cute as a button. Her smile is infectious.

R... said...

She is so beautiful! Six??!! They turn six right after they turn 2, right?? I know the time is going to fly by for us. I am trying to treasure each moment, but I have to admit I don't treasure *every* one of them! ;-)

R...