Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Scrambled Eggs with a Side of Bacon

I have a little bit to share about a few topics and I hope it really doesn't resemble scrambled eggs when I'm done! :) And the bacon? (ick!) I have a beef to share too & that's not something I usually do on bloggy world. :0) But I'm getting ahead of myself.....

Today marked the final day of Kindergarten for my chickadee. Honestly guys, I just don't know where the year went....I truly don't! It just seems like a moment ago we were filing into classroom for the meet & greet and carefully filling her backpack with new crayons, scissors, glue stick and more! Its been a tremendous year for us in so MANY ways and Lauren has had a glorious school year. I'm so happy for her and yet mightily baffled that I sent a Kindergartner to school today and welcomed home a First Grader, as she gleefully shared. Gulp......

I have also been wanting to share some silly numbers with you all.........these are approximations and all are true!

5 ~ the number of times I have been asked if Tyler Pei-En is from Korea. This is almost always asked by families who have baby boys adopted from Korea. :)

4 ~ the number of above families that have also shown me photos of their little ones after inquiring about Tyler's birth country. :) Pretty cute stuff too!!

0 ~ number of folks who have asked if he is from China or Taiwan.

2 ~ number of folks who have asked if he is from Kazakhstan. :)

1 ~ number of folks who have inquired if he is from Guatemala. ?? LOL

10 ~ number of insightful people who have told us how lucky WE ARE to have these two amazing babies! :) Loving that.....

3 ~ number of well meaning but incorrect folks who have told us that our kids are the lucky ones. :( Maybe we are all lucky to have found each other!

11 ~ My baby boy turned 11 mos. old yesterday! He was placed in our arms exactly four months to the day yesterday! My heart still does flip flops of joy just thinking about it!

5, almost 6 ~ number of words our little guy can say clearly and with meaning. His newest(#6) is, "mo, mo".....translation: MORE and always while pointing to Gerber Star munchies or bananas. :) He also goes "mmmmm" real loud when he sees us eating and wants a nibble. LOL He likes his grub!

12 ~ number of summertime weekends between now and Labor Day to pack in tons of fun in the sun, visits & outings!! :)

Are you wondering about the bacon? Where's the beef?? LOL....sorry, that was too goofy and predictable to pass up....... O.K. I don't normally share my petty gripes, annoyances or pet peeves; I guess I figure we all have to deal with enough of that in our daily lives, so who needs to read about it here, right? But just this once ( well, I will reserve the right to do so again in the future as needed) :) I'm gonna holler a bit about the people who find it necessary to enlighten us with such comments as: " boy, you really gambled; thank heavens it all paid off" or " well, now I know of at least 2 International adoptions that turned out well." Then there's the perennial, "boy, you guys sure dodged a bullet" and the always pithy, " you two are far braver than me". I'm not going to say a whole lot about this........I figure maybe you all can draw your own conclusions; but how sad that some folks labor under such misconceptions about internationally adopted children. Presuming perhaps that the adoptive journey is one fraught with great peril, risk and few happy endings? I think perhaps this is sometimes said as some kind of attempted compliment or for lack of anything else to say..........but its frustrating and offensive just the same. Don't our babies/children deserve the same chance to define themselves, to be viewed as whole/healthy, to be accepted for the tremendous miracles they are? I think so & preconceived notions irk me. There, I said it! That felt good & I thank y'all for lending your ears to my rant! :) Oh lordy, I'm on a roll now........I also found it annoying last week when an acquaintance at the pool hollered out, "stamp that baby's butt with a Made in Taiwan label"! Groan........... ~ the optimist in me just has to say that by & far most comments made regarding our kiddos and adoption are overwhelmingly positive and wonderful.....but just once in a while..... :)~

NOW, onward and upward.....here are a few pictures. One is from Lauren's first day of school last Fall and then several from today. Look how my girl has grown!!

AND, almost forgot.......I'm gonna be away from bloggy land for the next week. I know I'm going to miss seeing those beautiful baby updates and I HOPE to see lots of good news when I am able to check back in next week! I'll miss ya all and will be anxious to catch up soon!

My sweet 5 year old just starting Kindergarten.
Now she's 6........ & on her way to First Grade in the Fall!

Polka-dot princess!!


This is my view as we walk to school. She zooms along on her scooter!

And the baby keeps busy while big Sis is away at school!

Strumming a little tune..............



Making a joyful noise when its time to pick-up Lauren!

14 comments:

Staci said...

I love your posts, they always make me smile. I completely understand how you feel about Lauren. I can't believe I have a 1st grader in the house. This year went by SO fast. Its amazing how much they grow in a school year!!

I get the comment thing too. I get many more looks when I'm out and about now. Most comments I've received are sweet, BUT I'm always afraid of that dreaded comment. I know its bound to happen and I always wonder what I'm going to say or how I will react.

Happy summer to you, enjoy the weekends with your beautiful kiddos.

Hugs.

Lisa said...

Lisa,
Time does fly. Lauren is growing but as you know each new year brings beautiful memories. I love the way you put into numbers all those things. Guatamala???? hmmm that is a far reach. I am sure you handle each comment with grace too. I actually find myself categorizing these comnments in my head when people say stupid things (of course I dont have Paige yet so there are other stupid things they say...don't they just throw away their kids?..for example) Tyler is absolutely adorable those cheeks and that hair- you must constantly kiss him up.
Happy start to summer for you.
LOL
Lisa

QingLu Mama said...

OK, first I have to say Lauren looks so big and grown up! Wow - what a difference a year can make. She is just lovely. And now she is a 1st grader, amazing - but imagine all she will learn and grow this next year! And Tyler is so absolutely adorable! I love love love the spiky hairdo, and what a smile! My heart goes all gushy!
I love the numbers game. How fun! I am wowed at how many words Tyler can say, very impressive number!
And isn't it amazing the reaction some people have to our little miracles! I love any good or positive comments but the ignorant (yes that's usually it - that or no common sense) but they just leave me speechless. I had someone ask "what is her Country of origin" the other day. Odd way to put it...but she was trying to be polite, I think.
I have realized the older my girl gets the more I dread the comments or questions especially within her earshot. What they don’t know is what an amazing journey to parenthood adoption is and how blessed and lucky we really are.
I just know that you handle these situations with grace and tact. And I really love how you put “our babies/children deserve the same chance to define themselves, to be viewed as whole/healthy, to be accepted for the tremendous miracles they are”. Just beautifully worded.
As always I love to read your eloquent and thought provoking posts, you have put into words some thoughts & frustrations I think we all have felt at times!
Have a safe and wonderful time this long weekend!

rachel said...

oh my, tyler is so cute!!!! and so is lauren! as always they are both so beautiful!

I too, LOVE when people say that WE will be the lucky ones. i love it. unfortunately, i rarely hear it. when i say i am adopting, almost everyone asks, "are your two "natural"?" that's so crazy to me! i am sure we will get out fair share of strange comments.

i will miss you while you are gone. i always love your posts and your thoughtful, sunshiney comments! :)

happy summer, friend!
r

Casey said...

Lauren does look so big and grown up!! So beautiful.

Your family looks so happy and perfect. Once again, such a great post to read.

Casey

Michele M said...

I really enjoy reading your posts!

Wow, is the word. It's hard to believe how much our kiddos can change in just a few short months...Lauren is just as beautiful as ever tho!!

Ty well what can I say. LOVE the hair...he really looks like a rocker, hehe.

We haven't gotten any negative comments yet...lots of "he's so cute" and many more stares than I care to notice.

Happy Happy Summertime!

Sarah k said...

OH MY GOSH!!! The post is tooo cute! But NEVER as cute as Lauren and Tyler!!! Lauren looks so old! What happened??? STOP IT LAUREN!!! Go to never never land sweetie! Please! And Tyler... that hair is to much sir... I love it!!!!!

Thank you for all the sweet posts and for the emails of love girl! I love you!!! Oh and good news on the blog!

Sarah k

Journey to our baby said...

I just don't understand people sometimes. Sometimes I want to educate them so they understand that their beliefs are incorrect and other times I don't want to give them another minute of my day. Your kiddos are such sweeties - Love Tyler's hair!!

White's Journey to Taiwan said...

Beautiful, Lisa! I read through tears and smiles---as always :-) How beautiful Lauren and Tyler are!!! I will say it again. . . I wish we were neighbors. My Anna Grace would love your Lauren---they would be fast friends! Maybe they could be pen pals. Do you think Lauren would enjoy that? I know Anna Grace would!! Email me and we can share mailing addresses :-)

Anne Marie said...

Oh my gosh, Tyler's hair is amazing! I love that smile! And Lauren, well, Lauren is forever beautiful, and she is looking so grown up -- I think the hairstyle definitely makes her look grown up :)

And as to the beef - you said it, sister, and let's leave it at that ;)

I hope you are off somewhere having a wonderful time kicking off your summer!

Anonymous said...

You are very very blessed. I'm having an overemotional day and this post brought tears to my eyes. Please realize how luck you are every single day when you wake up.

loffer said...

Lisa,

Your pictures are wonderful as usual. Lauren is getting to be such a big girl, and Tyler looks like he's ready to join a band!

It really is amazing that people would think such things, much less let those thoughts come out of their mouths!

Hope you guys have a fantastic summer!

Lora

JEff said...

Thanks for lurking! Your babies are so sweet!

Anonymous said...

End of kindergarten? Wow. I like your numbers list. I have been asked if my son is Phillipino. In fact they did not think he was adopted but simply looked like his father. It was weird.