Friday, July 31, 2009

Playing Along

A few weeks back Mama Tongginator stumbled upon our little slice of the blogosphere and left a sweet comment on my "Love of Lauren" post. She found me and happily I in turn found her fabulous blog.(If you wish to take a peek, check out my blog roll!) All this week she has been recounting classic(hilarious!)old stories about her daughter and encouraged the rest of us to play along today. After reading the sweet & sassy stories about her cutie, I decided to add one of our own and for this I'm gonna have to ask ya all to go wayyyyyyyyy wayyyyyy back a few years as this happened when I was still a Mama to just one dumpling and that "just one" was just about 2 1/2 years old. A fun & precocious age....... :)

To understand this fully, you have to know that our Little Miss has always adored words and probably comes by it honestly as (frankly) I enjoy chatting and sharing words with her! So her latest and greatest had been the word, "vintage" and she was applying it with remarkable comprehension. During an outing she had deftly pointed out a vintage model Mustang (be still my heart!) and had made the cognitive leap to associating it with all things antique as well.

Truly I don't even recall how this particular word came to be used in her budding vocabulary but when she had inquired about its meaning, I had stated that vintage things are old, very special and unique. And yep, if I'm being honest here ( and there's no reason not to be) *grin* I was feeling a bit of motherly pride at her grasp of such a big concept and proper application. Perhaps if I'm being even more transparent I might even admit to feeling a wee bit smug.......which usually means a BIG Mama-hood lesson is fast approaching. Otherwise known as a swift kick in the smugness bu**! LOL

So days passed and our sweet cheeks kept delighting me with her word de jour. And like any good story, or as fate would have it, there came the day we found ourselves standing in our local bank tending to some mundane task. We had been waiting our turn and the teller had just beckoned us forward when I heard(from a very far away place) the door open behind us, followed by muffled footsteps. Thinking nothing of this, I continued with our business at hand oblivious to my child's rapt attention near the front of the bank........remember those footsteps?.....(remember my Mama's pride??)

Yes, those footsteps belonged to a very elderly and lovely lady who had the misfortune to select that day to do her banking; for just as every other noise seemed to instantly fade away, our darling girl grabbed my pant leg and hollered out with incredible 2 year old abandon, " OH LOOK, MAMA, SOMETHING VINTAGE JUST ARRIVED AND IS COMING THIS WAY!" And yes, you could have heard a proverbial pin drop, IF you were able to ignore the muffled gasp of the teller and the ringing bells of calamity (in my head).

There I stood, wishing, hoping, yearning for that hateful floor, shined daily to a high gloss btw, to implode and whisk me away, reluctantly turning to face this poor stranger, all the while aware of my child hopping up and down with great joy and glee cuz afterall she had just applied her special word one more time! And I looked at my girl, her face shiny with excitement and peeked sheepishly at the sweet lady, my cheeks ablaze and began to stumble through an apology.......

And guess what? This was one sharp gal, her hearing was perfect ( and she was 95 if she was a day!) and she bent down and said to the earnest little face by my side, that, "that was the nicest thing anyone had said to her all week." Then she smiled big at us both, winked at the teller and gracefully strode to the next teller. And my little girl glanced up at me and said loudly (cuz 2 years don't really have another volume setting in public), "Mama, why are your cheeks so red?"

Why indeed? :)

Wishing you all a glorious weekend filled with smiles and laughter!

17 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

I knew as soon as you mentioned the word vintage... I just knew... and I waited on pins and needles for the moment! You truly know how to weave a tale, lady. BwwwaaaaHaHaHaHaHa!

Staci said...

HaHaHa!!! Too funny, I love that age. I agree you have great story telling skills :) Have a great weekend!
Hugs

Wanda said...

What a story!!!!The essence alone would have been enough but the delivery.....girl.....you can spin a story.

I'm having a hard time to stop laughing. I'm even making some noise here.

Too much!

Journey to our baby said...

I love this! You are such an excellent writer, you should write a book! Thank you for sharing :)

The Hernandez Herd said...

What a great story. I loved it. Last week my three year old very loudly, asked if the cashier at the grocery store was a man or woman. ( very hard to tell.)It was a woman with a shaved head and mens clothing. I expalined it was a woman and moved on. Not as good as your story, of course.Kepp them coming, Victoria

rachel said...

oh my, that is a GREAT story!!!! i LOVED it! and you had me laughing out loud with your statement about mama smugness. SOOOO true. Dan and i jokingly called it the "karma police". if one of us says something like, "i would NEVER..." uh-oh, you better watch out, the karma police is coming to teach you a lesson. Not that we really believe in karma, but it just always seems to happen like that! haha!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh I seriously laughed out loud! Hahaha! This is priceless!

couey2007 said...

Great story!!

Michelle C, AL

Anonymous said...

That is such a GREAT story. As Luv Bug talks more and more I am waiting for some blunders. That is a story you will be telling forever.

QingLu Mama said...

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!
That is too funny! I can feel your flaming cheeks all the way here! Yep, Mama Pride can definitely back fire when we least expect it...I guess it helps to keep us modest though.
I do love that Lauren grasped and used that new word, and in such a funny way. I think I let out a sigh of relief at the woman's great sense of humor!
Great story, Lisa! Thanks for the laugh Lauren!

Oh and I too love the Tongginator's blog!

Tish said...

I was thinking of your sweet tyler and his hair today! So glad I had a chance to drop by and hear this super fantastic story!!!! How funny! Hope you are doing well and having a great summer!!!

momwithfaithandhope said...

LOL!!!! Oh my. . .Sweet, sweet, SMARTY pants Lauren. That's a cute story to tell though. (Unlike Peyton's experience with the comments on size.) They seem so mature, so smart, and then you have to take a step back and remember. . .they get the basic meaning of words, ie OLD in this case, but not much beyond that, do they?! I love how you tell your stories. . .And yes, can't wait to see those snazzy cleats. Just a couple more weeks, and we'll be on the field! I can't believe how the "babies" are growing up.

Jennifer said...

Hey Lisa~~

heheheh...LOVE that story! Great trip down memory lane. Kids are SO fun and precious (most of the time). ;-)

Our Noelle says some pretty dern cute stuff, but my mama-brain can't ever remember it all. (my mother actually says I should carry a small notebook and pencil around to record said cuteness of her granddaughter-- she's serious too).

BTW-- Thanks for all the uplifting and encouraging comments you leave on our blog. They always make me smile and feel warm and fuzzy. :o)

Jennifer

momwithfaithandhope said...

I just realized that you call Lauren your "Little Miss" too. . .when I read your comment, I went back to this post. . .I never called Gracyn Little Miss, but do call the baby miss, missy, little miss. . .I'll be so blessed if my Miss is as sweet as yours!

Jackie said...

Your kiddos are growing up! The summer has been good to them! So cute! That is so neat that you got meet up with other families in Chicago! xo, Jackie

Terry said...

This is just tooo cute!! What a story! Don't you just love the "learning" children's minds go through? We had a similar experience with a cute little boy, coffee, nice little old ladies, and references to being them "older than dirt".....let your mind go. I created new shades of red that day!

We had a lot of busy things going on and I'm behind in blogland again. I'm sorry! But check in yahoo world, I left you a note! :-)

Love the story - you should start a book, you write so well!! Can't wait to hear about the next new word Miss Lauren learns!
XOXOXOXO

Anne Marie said...

Oh, that is sooooo cute!!! I would have been feeling quite smug myself because her language skills truly were impressive ;)