Friday, August 14, 2009

Blog-A-versary


One year ago I began this blog as a vehicle to share our adoption journey and snippets of our everyday life along the way. I officially launched my blog on August 19th, though the true "work" began days beforehand. I had no real working knowledge of blog technology, etiquette, design or even a clear vision of what I wished to contribute to the vast community that is the blogosphere. I clearly remember questioning my own audacity and wondering with some trepidation if anyone would even bother to read, much less follow along for the duration. What I did know was that I was terribly impressed with the blogs I had stumbled upon and immensely grateful to the families that shared their adoption adventures and offered insight into what we might expect throughout our process. I've said often, though usually in conversation, that I wished we had access to adoption related blogs during our journey to Lauren. How even a small tidbit or shared experience from those who had walked the path before us, would have allayed so many misplaced fears & anxieties. I feel gratitude for the people who did reach out to us before our travels via a message board/emails and knew in my heart this (blog) resource was both a gift and a responsibility this time around. With that in mind and a mission statement of simply wishing to keep family & friends in our "loop", I launched Destination-Taiwan:Our Forever Family and became, among many other titles: a blogger.
What I didn't know at the time.....what I couldn't have possibly known at the time was what an important part of our journey this blog would ultimately become. If someone had said I would be blessed with connections & friendships as a result, surely I would have scoffed, albeit politely. :) And connections really doesn't do justice to the supportive network and circle of shared experiences I have found here. Where else am I just a click away from dozens of families sharing in the joy and beauty of forming their families through adoption......or hoping to. Where else can I share the magic of a watching families fly around the world to be united with their precious babies/children and then later cry happy and frustrated tears with them over triumphs and challenges.(jet lag anyone?) How lucky I was to find such loyal and caring folks who clicked MY blog from time to time to peek at my random blathering, read my (often lengthy....yeah, I think we've already established my penchant for the wordy! lol ) musings about my life with, first one, then 2 miracle babies. There have been times I've babbled a little, left some baggage behind, grumbled, shouted with glee, celebrated, hoped, feared,reminisced & contributed a bit of fancy/whimsy....and probably more. And guess what? You guys came......you stopped by.....you stepped across my welcome mat.....you noticed that the porch light was left on.......you understood there were posts that left me a bit vulnerable..........and still you took the time to read and (often times) leave amazing comments behind.
And because you did.......because you cared......this little blog that had no real original mission, stayed the course and documented the arrival of our baby boy and life ever after with 2 munchkins!
And because you did.......I have been blessed to know so many of you, to read with pleasure and happiness your every day happenings and celebrate the extraordinary. I have prayed with many of you during the challenging moments and shouted solidarity during the difficult or outrageous times. Because of you, I was invited into so many homes, all around the country(& world!) and given rare access or peeks into your families & dreams. All differing journeys(some adoptive related, others not), hopes, rationales, personalities, hobbies and perspectives.......but with one common thread: reaching out through blogs. Leaving your imprint in the sand.
Along the way I have also had the pleasure to personally meet several of you or communicate via email or snail mail. My Lauren is pen-pals with darling Anna Grace, the daughter of a bloggy Mama friend, who still awaits baby girl #2. My Tyler received an adorable 1st birthday card from the ever thoughtful & sweet Jen F.(and family) AND miss Lauren considers Simone to be her best est blog buddy EVER. This blog has helped me to reconnect with family all across the country AND 2 very dear old friends!(no, not OLD.....but from my teaching days!) ~ Tracy & Carrie, it was WONDERFUL to see ya both and get caught up once again! Can't wait for the next time! :) How wonderful that it has also allowed me to find several families who like us, had previously adopted from Kazakhstan. What a creative outlet its become for me! And man oh man, you guys are good & I mean good at this bloggy stuff ~ yes, I mean each & every one of you!
And while we were in Taiwan and I sat wide awake in the dark of the night, my blog and the warm, loving comments left by you all, kept me company and helped to ease a bit of homesickness. It also gave us a vital link to our daughter.....cuz being that far away was hard & sometimes phone calls just aren't enough!
Now, almost one year later, I'm still hoping to change out my background LOL but life keeps getting in the way and often its either publish a new post or work on lay-out.......always the post wins! :) Maybe that can be a goal for this next year! One year later, I know I haven't set the world on fire, but I have been myself. I still fall behind from time to time, but y'all know I'll catch up eventually. I LOVE the new faces that stop by and I cherish the buddies who have been with me for so long. I'm excited to see where this next year takes us........AND where the next year takes all of you!
And I thank you. XOXO
Just sign me....... Lisa Mama, Wife, Daughter, Sister, Aunt, Cousin, Friend, Optimist and Blogger :) oh okay, you can add, sentimental fool too! *grin*
P.S. Yaya this is for you.....a Friday Fragment: If I had maintained a blog during our journey to Lauren, I would have called it: Rockthekazblog !! :) Oh yeah!

13 comments:

momwithfaithandhope said...

Happy Blog-A-versary! I couldn't have said it better myself. I hadn't a clue where to start when I entered the world of blogging. At first I was anti-public, and anti-FREE, for I don't know what reason, other than paying for something with a locked password seemed better and safer???? Whatever. . .those days are long gone. But your commment about being in the dark in country, and how the comments and blogging world were comforting, brought back so many memories. . .Without skype, IM'ing, and blogging, I don't think I would have made it.

Yes, please do add our blog to your roll, I'm going to do the same with yours!! When you write, it comes straight from your heart. You're so transparent, so real. And well, your kids are so stinkin' cute!!! I'm certain if Peyton knew YOUR little Miss, she would be at the top of his list! She has "THE" look, and he's consistent! Let's see some pink cleats! I saw our friends' daughter out at soccer practice and she was dolled up in hot pink from head to toe - made me think of Lauren!

Anonymous said...

Lol! Love it!

Happy Blogaversary!

Yes, the people I have met blogging are the most amazing people I ever knew.

Sarah said...

Happy blog-a-versary!!! I feel the SAME way, hon. Same way.

I'm going to second Tiff, here. When you write, we can all see that it comes straight from your heart. AND you're just as sweet in person, too!

Katie said...

I am with you Lisa! I feel so close to those who's blogs I follow and have made great supportive friends thru it all.

Happy Blog a versary!

a Tonggu Momma said...

Watch out, Lady! I reconnected with an old friend so much through my blog that she ended up living with us for two months. Yeah - the husband was THRILLED (actually, he didn't mind, but it's too funny to not comment about it). Happy blogaversary.

The Hernandez Herd said...

Oh what a thoughtful post.
You can go to the cutest blog on the block to change your background it is free and really easy. Victoria

QingLu Mama said...

How beautiful! Just simply beautiful…

You always have such a way with words...One of the many reason we all keep coming back to check in on your blog!
That and your amazing personality and obviously huge heart. And well- those adorable kiddos of yours sure helps!

I truly love to read your posts, they always inspire me, make me giggle - or sometimes laugh out loud, and always make me feel like I am not alone in this incredible journey.
It really is amazing these great, deep and true friendships that are formed. I could not have done this with my sanity in tact without you and all the great pals in the blogsphere!

Thanks for the shout out too, I'll have to read that to Simone tonight...she'll think it's great! And she too think of Lauren as her bestest blog buddy, and loves to just look at your blog to see pics of both the kids! (as do I!)

Thanks for again writing and sharing such a incredible post.

Terry said...

Happy Blog-A-Versary!! You have had an incredible year, and so much to celebrate on your
blog-a-versary too! Tons of paperwork in stacks of five copies, (a true accomplishment), traveling across the great pond to add one of the best blessings a family could ask for, and get a cool stamp in your passport too!

Taking on the blog world, and doing a great job at it too. I will agree whole heartly with everything you said, the blog is a wonderful way to connect with other families, no matter what part of the process they are in. You can vent, (sometimes you just have to), share funny stories about creating new shades of red, (we have all been there, right ?) compare notes, get ideas (processing, traveling, adjusting), get comfort in knowing that you are not alone, (this is HUGE), having others help answer your questions, (even if they sound like the stupidest questions ever) and the pictures, everyone just LOVES all the pictures! Best of all, you can make great friends, like yourself!!!

Thank you for sharing your family and your story with the blogging world - you have certainly helped me get through some rough days with all of your support and kind words of encouragement!! You always say such postive and thoughtful things!

Again you are not alone, because as much as I would like to brighten up or be more creative with my boring blog, I'm too chicken to do it. Not sure how, and afraid to lose it entirely, so I haven't changed anything. I will probably have to ask my teenage son to help me! Not to mention he has more time on his hands until school starts! LOL

rachel said...

You have a great blog and I have felt blessed to follow your journey! Thank you for the humor, insight, and honesty. And, of course all of those beautiful photos of your darling kiddos!
Xo,
Rachel

R... said...

Congratulations on a full year of blogging and so much more.

R...
p.s. I love the RocktheKazblog title, so I think you should still do it...well, maybe next year. ;-)

Anne Marie said...

Happy Blogaversary!!! Lisa, what more could we ask than that you be yourself :) Your blog background doesn't matter -- it's the love in your heart and the hospitality in your words that makes this a wonderful place to visit :)

It truly is an amazing network, and it is amazing how many real life friends you can make this way. If you had told me that 3 years ago, I would have looked at you like you had 3 heads -- lol!

Tracy Ann said...

Great post, I really enjoy your writing.
I agree, I wish I would have had blog friends and a Yahoo group for our 1st adoption, such great support.

Tracy JOH

couey2007 said...

I too, started my blog about one year ago with the help of my JOH Yahoo group. I say blogs are "my TV shows" I hope you have had the time to go back and read your blog!!! I did that a few weeks ago and it was so emotional!

Your Blog friend,
Michelle C, AL