Thursday, August 27, 2009

Recipe for First Grade

The day has come as I always knew it would. My eager & excited chickadee ventures to First Grade and our beloved and cherished mornings together will become relegated to weekends and summers. Half day K gives way to all day First and with it came a new building, new teachers/staff but plenty of old familiar faces too. Our day starts sooooo early and the weather was mucky :( so these photos are from yesterday when we visited her classroom for Meet & Greet. We love her new teacher and there are several friends from the neighborhood and last year in her class......that sure helps the First Grade jitters fade away!

So, here is our recipe for First Grade:

Prep time: 6 years

Take one enthusiastic 6 year old , coordinated school accessories and beg for the obligatory First Day of School photo on the front porch. :)~ Oh, btw, said 6 year old opted for a messenger bag this year and I was nicely but firmly informed that backpacks are SO last year! (last year, as in Kindergarten I presume!) LOL ADD: One raised Mama eyebrow(which I highly recommend every Mama perfects) and sprinkle in a chuckle.
Oh yes, First Grade feet must match the ensemble too! ;0 Stir in one trip to the Mama nail salon for school ready piggies!


Did you all know just how much stuff it takes to go to First Grade??? I didn't either, but its been fun shopping for it all this summer! Notice the gym shoes that MUST remain at school...... Sift in: all the above ingredients and SEVERAL trips to the outlet Mall for just THE right pair of silver(with sequins....a must!) of "stay at school" sneakers.

Decorate liberally(puffy paints!) one art smock! Front............

..................... and back! ;o)

Blend in plenty of time for greeting friends outside of the school building! This was supposed to be our traditional photo standing outside the front of the building, but I like this spontaneous shot so much better! Pure pleasure here!!


Lastly garnish with one seat(with name plate!! exciting stuff!!) and school smiles.
Serve with much love and understanding daily.
May substitute first day smiles with a nostalgic Mama who is SO happy for her girl, but already missing her this morning like crazy! And the baby?......oh, he's so lost this morning without her! He's getting lots of TLC from Me.
Hugs to all the Mamas who are mixing up their own "back to school batches" this week! It does get a bit easier( I promised Jen F. I would let her know!!) but gosh the heart still lurches a bit! :)

12 comments:

rachel said...

oh, lisa, i am the first commenter! YAY!!! a first for me on your very popular blog!

love this post! you are so funny and had me smiling the whole way through. i am glad to read that another mama did the 1/2 day kindergarden thing. we plan to do that with jude next year, too.

lauren is so beautiful and boy, is she growing up!!!!

hugs, mama!
rach

QingLu Mama said...

How sweet! Love the recipe...were there any Kleenex thrown in for Mama?

Lauren looked radiant and so very much a big girl! I was thrilled to see those beautiful pictures of her so happy and confident.
Love the matching ensemble too, she sure looks stylish and VERY 1st grade-ish.
And I sure hope you got your piggies perfected too!

Thanks for sharing such a big milestone...full day 1st grade! Wow.
Give little Ty a hug from me & Simone and Lauren a big girl high-five!

And yes, I sure am glad to hear it gets better, thank you! Remind me again next year...

The Hernandez Herd said...

My baby girl starts a new prescool next week. I am stresses about that. My baby is growing up too.
Isn't there a pause button?
Victoria JOH

momwithfaithandhope said...

That's one heck of a recipe, and one terrific BATCH of one beautiful first grader! Love the shoes and pink piggies! I'm seriously never going to be able to send Peyton off to Kindergarten. Is there a recipe for recovery after you drop them off???? Loved your super creative way of sharing such a special time in your life with us! (As always!)

Oh, and I guess I better not shop for next year's stuff on sale this year, because Peyton will be sure to be telling me soon, what's NOT so cool, is that right? Note to self. . .Messenger bags are in, Backpacks out.

Wanda said...

Oh my, Lisa. Such a memorable event and so well presented with just the right amount of humor.

My Dahlia starts Grade 1 next Tues. so, thanks for the prep (pep) talk. Even though our new addition is an all consuming event - I still need to focus on her older sister.

Hope your heart is soothed with each new day. It's all terribly bittersweet, isn't it?

Hugs,
Wanda

Terry said...

What a confident young girl! So full of smiles. The recipe~very creative! I loved your story!
What a great outfit, planned so perfectly for the first day, right down to the piggies! And the sequins are the way to go! Sparkles are in!!
Nice Job Lauren and Mom!!
I think the first day gets a bit easier with each passing year, but the matching outfit & accessories, doesn't! Oh, I also found out that the backpack was out and the messenger bag was in! We found one with a cute panda on it. :-)
I'm hoping that I can still get the "first day" picture with Adam- I usually get the 'awwww, mom'. LOL
Enjoy your mornings with your little man, new traditions to start!

Thanks for sharing your recipe! :-)

Tracy Ann said...

Cute! Love the Hello Kitty.

Tracy JOH

Anonymous said...

Lol that backpacks are so last year!

Anonymous said...

What a poignant day for the family. I love this post.

Nicole said...

OK, I just realized our daughters are almost exactly the same age! My O just started 1st grade as well-too bad we didn't get them together at the reunion!?!

Anyhow-it must be nice to have some one on one time w/ your little one-i know he'll be loving that!
Enjoy!!
nicole

rachel said...

lisa, i had to tell you that it's so funny about what you said about commenting on my blog, because the same thing happens to me with your blog! i see your post and then, first of all, i want to read it when i have time to really enjoy it/soak it all in. your posts are too insightful to be skimmed. then, i have to find a time to comment. and, since your posts are always so fabulous, i have so much to say! LOL! i want to leave a thoughtful comment, but then my kids are fighting or the phone rings which is why i end up being a tail-end commentator -- haha -- if you'd call it that!

Michele M said...

Love the post and your sweet girl too. She looks great in her Hello Kitty.