Sunday, January 4, 2009

What I Have Learned......

When Scott & I announced our joyful plans to adopt a second child, reactions were overwhelmingly positive and joyous. One of the more curious questions we have been asked since that time has been which of the two processes to date have been more challenging. It is a question that I have given considerable thought to and find myself simply unable to really answer. There are several explanations for why I am unable to do so, not the least of which is that our processes will have taken place 5 to 6 years apart and involved two very separate and distinct foreign countries & journeys. (We also have not yet completed our 2nd adoption, making hindsight impossible just yet...lol...) And as I thought about it even more, I realized that while each program & adventure has been unique, there are many more things about both adoptions that are similar.......with that in mind I thought I might share, What I Have Learned About Adoption:

** I have learned to embrace every family's adoption story as unique, beautiful and invaluable to better understanding the overall adoptive process, while also recognizing that no two experiences or timelines will be exactly the same.

** I have learned that tenacity, faith and even sometimes luck are required to see this process through from beginning to end. And that sometimes even that is not enough..... actually I would quantify this statement with LOTS OF LUCK needed :) .....

** I have learned that support is invaluable. Support from family members, friends, adoptive groups, your agency....all are necessary and instrumental.

** I have also learned that said support can come in many forms: from the friend who calls unexpectedly to ask how your adoption is progressing, to the family member who listens patiently & with compassion while you tearfully share your fears & anxieties along the way; to the surprise gift that arrives for your baby, or to the kind email or blog comment sent by someone across the country who has walked in your footsteps ( or is currently sharing the path ) and simply understands.......incredible!

** I have learned there is no shame in accepting help( that can be hard for me) and admitting that the process can sometimes be bigger than we are capable of managing alone. Similarly I understand that reaching out the hand of support on our good days to someone who may be struggling brings unexpected blessings and strength.

** I have learned that the devil is in the details. Check, double check & recheck all the facts at every step along the road!

** I have learned that like all major life events, perseverance is critical and adoption(or parenting for that matter!) is not for the faint of heart.

** I now understand better the legacy each of these miracle children bring to our families. With them comes the echo of a rich, beautiful and vibrant culture.....the imprint of a distant land....the hopes, dreams, wishes and sacrifices of a birth family. International adoption at its best bridges the gap between cultures and creates families with an inherent understanding and appreciation of world cultures. I have learned newfound respect for so much.

** I have learned that friendships can be forged unexpectedly and in the most unexpected of places throughout this journey. ( You all know who I'm talking about!) Priceless & thank you everyone!!

** I have learned that when I thought I couldn't tolerate another day of the agonizing wait, I somehow was able to....& that often others have waited even longer.

** I have learned that God rarely gives us more than we are capable of handling.

** I have been honored to accept & understand that sometimes its God's unanswered prayers that shine the brightest and give us our best gifts. Often when we least expect it too!

** I have learned to never take a day for granted with our precious daughter( and the cherished son we are awaiting)....I know something bigger than our love & plans brought us & keeps us together. I am humbled by that thought.

**** AND I have learned that I won't number the above reflections or use the words "finally"....for I know well that about the time I think I've seen or experienced it all, a new twist or wrinkle will take us soaring around an unexpected turn or loop. And I know for certain, that I am a better person for the ride! I have also learned to hold on with both hands! ;)

May this coming week find you all happy & well and bring good news to all waiting families!

13 comments:

Lisa said...

Lisa,
Your positive outlook would definately be on my list... so much of what you have said is soso true, and I haven't even completed one adoption yet. I am holding on with not only both hands but I feel as if I have had to attach a rope to prevent us from falling out of the ride...
Thank you so much for your ability to see the bright side of it all.
lol
Lisa R.

Casey said...

Lisa,
That was so beautiful. On a night when I was feeling a bit sad...sorry for myself for this long wait....these were words I truly needed to hear. Thank you for writing this. You are an amazing person. I'm glad to have shared this journey with you.

Casey

loffer said...

Beautifully said, Lisa. I know that in the beginning of this process I once thought that I would like to just go to sleep and then wake up when it was time for our baby to come home. Then I realized that I would miss out on not only the other beautiful things going on in my life, but also the lessons that were there for me to learn from this experience about patience and trust.

It will, however, be very nice to be on the other side of this long journey, looking back on it with (hopefully) fond memories of our time of preparation.

rachel said...

L,
very interesting synopsis. thank you for sharing what you have learned along the way. from my twisty, turvy time on this path, i am amazed at how much there is to learn -- some simple lessons and some complex, but few which i EXPECTED. it's a crazy ride!

Michele M said...

What a great post! I think you hit the nail on the head. It is very hard to do a comparison of 2 different countries processes. Thank you for your support and friendship.

QingLu Mama said...

Wow, Lisa! What an incredible and beautiful post! You, as usual, have put words to so many emotions and feelings about this wonderful, agonizing and joyful process of adoption. I truly enjoyed this peek into your thoughts and outlook. Your words give such encouragement for all of us during this journey to our children, and that is something always welcome!
Thanks for the thought provoking post and for the reminder of how amazing this ride really is and how lucky we all are to have been called to take it!
And as for support of friends…well you’ve been such a great and positive comrade to me, and to so many others. You have made many days much brighter and even when I didn’t realize just how down I really was, you’ve picked me up!
Jennifer

Terry said...

That is a post sooo true ! Both of my previous adoptions were nothing alike and this time around is even different than the others. I was feeling kinda down about the new year and still not having a referral yet, thinking about how long we've waited so far, (others have waited longer too) but when I started this adoption, I hoped we would have a referral by now. Time will tell and God has his own plans. Thank you for being honest and upbeat at the same time!! It was good to hear !! Adopting blogging is so theraputic!!! Still patiently waiting :-)

Journey to our baby said...

Hello Lisa,
Thank you for this message, you are so strong and see the beauty in everything. We truly are blessed with taking this path and I wouldn't trade it in for anything. We have gained so much from this experience already and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings (hopefully really good news - at least this week!!)

Suzy

Sarah k said...

Lisa,
AMEN! Your observations are real and honest! Oh and stop reading my mind!!! :o) I myself as you know have felt like I was going to fall off this ride we call adoption several times but your words of encouragement and love have heaved my worn out rear back inside the ride to complete another look next to you. So help me.. I thought I heard you screaming the other day.. LOL... You are a special friend that I cherish and I am so glad you are here. Thanks for being a friend and for sharing your love through the tears. Have you ever been told that you ARE sanity to some of us out here? lol

Sarah k
Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com

Jackie said...

Amen and Amen!!!

I just have to say that every time I see the cute picture of your girl on your sidebar I grin right along with her. No two front teeth and as cute as can be. Her smile says she is one happy little girl and adds so much sunshine to your home. When we try for a little girl our second time around I can't help but hope and pray for a little miracle like her :)

The other night we went to a new restaurant called the Taiwan Bistro. It was very good. Typical Chinese. When we told the owners that our son was Taiwanese he seemed very confused and surprised. And, not in a positive way. My husband and I forget that the Chinese culture is shame-based and that to him, it was somewhat of a discouragement/disgrace that John was adopted. Anyway, just thought I'd share that with you, knowing you would understand. And, we always come away from a new experience with such interesting revelations and sometimes always questions! Glad we went, but just not the uplifting night we were hoping for!
Have a wonderful day!
Jackie

Kerry said...

Dearest Lisa,
Your words always touch my heart. I am so inspired by your positive outlook and ability to get to the heart of the matter. You are so right in that I too have learned so much and something different during each segment of our journey. And on this our third adoption I am tested further. I believe with all my heart that every trial and frustration makes me a better person and a better mama to my children. I do not take a single day/moment for granted with my miracles. And even on bad days can be seen with a smile on my face.
I thank you for your thoughtful post, as always you say it so well.
Hugs,
Kerry

Emelia_Florida said...

Hi Lisa and Family! I wanted to first thank you for finding my Blog in the sea of blogs (LOL) and writing such sweet comments on it :) Also - I love your insight! Your reflections were written so perfectly and will be something I will most likely be re-visiting a few times in the future when I need some "centering" - Thank you again so much for being such a great new friend in all of our lives with JOH. :)

Emelia

Tish said...

lovely post! isn't it amazing what GOd does IN us during the adoption process?