Friday, January 30, 2009

A Big Sister's LOVE

Oh gosh, I am always reluctant to bump our updates of sweet Tyler down the page, but this is a post I have been meaning to include for quite some time. For so many reasons I need to share this, not the least of which is so that Tyler always knows and understands how long awaited his arrival has been for all of us.

It was years ago that Lauren first started asking about a sibling and began praying for a baby brother or sister. The gender mattered not to her, only that her wish be granted. How blessed and incredibly fortunate we all feel to have this family dream coming true!

During this wait for our son and baby brother, Lauren has often grown weary of the delays and struggled to understand the nuances of time lines and the tangled lines of bureaucracy. It was on one of those days we decided to help her write a book detailing all the things she hoped to one day do with her beloved baby brother.

Our story began last summer, just after we received our miracle referral, but before our "little man" had a first name. :) The story is actually quite long and each of the sentences was dictated by Lauren with minimal support. We then typed each page and she has been working hard all these months to illustrate her book. Our next step is to make several color copies, laminate each page and bind at least 3 copies into books. One for Lauren.....one for Tyler....one for us.

I can't even begin to share how amazing I think this book is......yep, I'm biased, but I'm really talking about the love & hope that went into its creation. It has been a wonderful way to involve her in this process and what an incredible keepsake for us all.

Best of all, Lauren plans to actually read this book to Tyler over the years and maybe someday he will wish to pen the second in the series! Or they can together!

The book is about 25 pages long and she has dedicated it to Tyler Pei-En.... *sniffle* I can't share it all, but here is a sampling........thanks for reading along with us!




I love the BIG smiles on this page!

Someday her sweet feet will reach the floor when she sits on the sofa! Ahhhhh!


Okay....LOVE this one! Look at that leg extension...lol...and the mohawk that defies gravity!




Happy weekend to you all!!

17 comments:

Michelle said...

That is SO sweet, and what a fabulous idea!! This is definitely something that all four of you will treasure for years to come.

loffer said...

Oh Lisa,

What a treasure for both Lauren and Tyler! Won't it be wonderful for him to see how much she longed for him and all of the dreams she had for the two of them? I know how hard it is to wait as an adult for our little ones, but it's easy to forget how the days go even more slowly for children, and that it's even harder for them in some ways to wait for something so so special. What a wonderful idea you had to help her not only use those emotions of anticipation, but also to create something that they will both cherish for years to come!

Lora O.

Sarah k said...

Lisa,
I am crying!! I hope I can see the screen! What a gift Lauren is! That is the sweetest thing I have heard of in a long time!!! I know how hard this is on adults but to see a child experience this wait! Lauren, you are a beautiful little one inside and out and don't ever take your sweet personality for granted!!!! Your book is wonderful and Tyler will love it! I know he will! These two are going to have such an unbelievable relationship!
Nothing as precious as the thoughts of a child! You are one blessed mama!!
Love ya,
Sarah k
Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com
Taiwanindependentadoptionprizes.blogspot.com

Tish said...

definitely worth having to scroll down to see cute baby cheeks! this was an awesome post and lauren is an awesome girl! my fave is the dance moves page...i'm all about the dance moves! she is a cutie!!!

Michele M said...

Just precious and so so sweet. She is going to be a GREAT big sister.

Lisa said...

Lisa,
That is the sweetest book I have ever seen. You are truly blessed with such a caring little girl, and although I know you guys feel you are the lucky ones getting Tyler, he is also lucky to come into such a sweet, caring and upbeat family. I am counting on you to still stay active in bloggy world and on the board. Your posts are always so uplifting. THanks for sharing this.

LOL
Lisa R

QingLu Mama said...

Love Love Love it!

Lisa, this is truly a beautiful and amazing book for Tyler and for all of you to share! Lauren did a great job, and it is obvious just how much hard work, thoughtful caring and true sibling love was put into it! The illustrations are wonderful, Lauren is very artistic and creative! And I know you must be so proud of her and how obviously sweet, kind and caring her personality is. Pat yourselves on the backs too, she learned such open and heart warming love from you!
This book will be such a treasure for the two of them in years to come, thank you for sharing the finished product! Please tell her we love it and think she has done an amazing job! I bet you both can’t wait for her to read it to Tyler in person! Tyler is coming home to such a remarkable, warm and wonderful family, it has just been such a joy to follow your journey! And now I can’t wait to see him in your arms, finally! I am counting down the days, my friend, as I know you are too! OK maybe you’re counting down the minutes…
I’ve had no computer all day (UGH!!!) so finally got to I take a quick peek at the computer happenings of the day when I got home. I am so glad I did, this was just such a lovely post to open up, I am so glad I got to read it!

Jennifer
I hope to have some spare time tomorrow & I’ll write you another “chapter” ha ha!
Have a fantastic evening!!

Missy said...

OK, that post just made me weep. That is so amazingly sweet!

Kerry said...

So precious- what a wonderful keepsake for your family! Lauren is going to be a fabulous big sissy and has so much to teach her baby brother. Tyler is going to be one lucky boy to have such a loving big sister!

You are such a sweetheart Lauren- and you are going to love being a big sister. I have loved babying my baby brother for 30+ years now.

The wait is horrible on our big kiddos. My Grace had a terrible time waiting for her meimei- but loves being a big sister too!
Hugs. Not much longer- I am so glad you shared your sweetie's story.

Nicole said...

Oh my GOODNESS! Toooo cute! How old is she??? Very talanted artist! :)
Love the story-she'll be the BEST big sister Ever!!

When are you traveling? I'm so excited for you! Will you see Casey?!?
Can't wait to follow your journey!
nicole

Lisa said...

Hi!

Lauren was 5 when we started this and now is 6. :) She loves to draw!

Thank you everyone for all the sweet & loving comments. I have been reading them to Lauren and she is pleased as punch & so proud!

You guys are the best!
Love,
Lisa & Lauren
P.S. Nicole...we leave Thursday...I will post more early next week about the details! We are sooooo excited!!

Room for More said...

Oh, I so CANNOT do leg extensions like that! ouch! This is the sweetest book ever!What a sweet memory!

Sarah and Dan Sullivan said...

That is so AWESOME!!! What a tribute to her little brother that will last forever. Really neat! Thanks for sharing. Sarah = )

Becky said...

Lisa, How adorable. What a wonderful keepsake for Tyler - I'm so happy to have heard Lauren say all these things about how she will care for her baby bro. Tyler is a blessed little guy to have such a loving and devoted big sis!

I cannot wait to see you all again. Wishing you and Scott safe travels - Hugs and Love,
Becky & Mike

rachel said...

that is so awesome! i love it! what a treasure!

Unknown said...

That is the cutest thing I have ever heard!! I love reading your blog and it has been a while since I have read it. Thanks for the email update. I can't wait to hear more.

Terry said...

Lisa, What a wonderful way to bond with her new baby brother, and pass the time while waiting (or rainy afternoon)very creative! Lauren did a great job with her plans & pictures. Its something that you will always have and be proud of. I love this idea!
How many days to go ???? :-)
I bet you are soooo excited, I know I am for your trip and gottcha day!!
Happy packing!