Friday, February 6, 2009

Terrific Taipei!

Hi Everyone! We have arrived in Taiwan and have been spending a great day in Taipei! What a whirlwind of travel and oh my goodness are we glad to be here! Both of our flights were uneventful though very very long. :)

We are all checked into our hotel and simply love the neighborhood and staff. We sampled some tasty Asian inspired treats at the complimentary buffet this morning, with Scott's favorite being the dumplings and mine, the fresh fruit. Yum! We hope to sample something new and different every day! And for those of you that know me well, you KNOW that's a big deal!

The temperatures are so mild and its so strange to walk through a door and not brace for the frigid air or snowflakes. Our JOH guide ( such a sweetheart!) mentioned to us last night that Taipei was a bit chillier than normal for February, but for us Midwesterners its a slice of mild & humid heaven! It is a bit uneven though and we saw sprinkles today and low 60's followed quickly by low 70's, breezy and sunny......its a potpourri and we couldn't love it more!

In light of the sprinkles we decided to postpone our neighborhood walk about and trip to the temple until tomorrow and instead hopped into a cab and spent the morning and afternoon at Taipei 101....the tallest building in the world! Its so incredibly tall that when you stand outside and look up, the tip is obscured by wispy clouds and your neck screams for relief.... lol....or least mine did! ;) The attached mall is immaculate and very upscale. We found several treasures, most of them for Lauren.(Yay!) We also people watched in the food court and explored the (grocery) market; the varieties of fresh fruits and foods were staggering but you will all will be happy to know we did find the Diet Cokes (for me) and Pringles, for Scott. Its good to have a few creature comforts from home!

The rain stopped just before noon and of course we wasted no time dashing outside to walk the surrounding area. We stumbled onto a beautiful park area complete with the cows on parade. Some of you will know that the painted cows are a regular feature in downtown Chicago, so it was fun to see them grazing here halfway around the world! AND as luck would have it we were fortunate to be able to walk through the lantern festival plaza where we heard live music, read 2 half mile long sculpture murals of children's fairy tales; one Western ( Cinderella) and one Eastern ( the Ox Herder and the Maiden ).......so fascinating and the craftsmanship was superb. All around this plaza were also models built to represent each continent of the world. We walked right up to the Eiffel Tower, sauntered past the Leaning Tower of Pisa and waved to Lady Liberty in her gown of green! It was an unexpected afternoon of discovery!

And what is the rest of Taipei like? Well, its huge, bustling, vibrant and lush. The landscape is so varied with mountains, coastal areas, rivers and plenty of urban sprawl too. The people are all so polite and they delight in practicing their English on us. The children are particularly curious ( and adorable!) about us and several raced up and wanted to see Scott's ball cap and inspect my hair. Suffice to say too that with the humidity, sprinkles and heady breeze, my hair took on a mutinous life of its own! :( Ha! Ha!

Well, the jet lag is settling in a bit. I was not able to sleep at all last night, so with our 5 hours of walking today and lack of sleep, I am hopeful I can sleep for much of night. Scott had no trouble sleeping...... :) I hope this post is somewhat cohesive with my foggy brain!

I also wish to thank Michelle, a JOH & Yah** group friend who is making this post possible. Last night we were incapable of connecting to Blogger and she came to our rescue with a solution. We are so thankful & touched she would take her own time to help us out!! And so appreciative of everyone following along. Your beautiful, heartfelt comments that I read earlier helped to ease what was a bit of initial homesickness. You guys are the best!

AND, I will try to post tomorrow, but if time gets away or the blog refuses to cooperate, then I will set my sights on Tyler day!! We are soooo excited to see our baby boy.....each day brings us closer to him and each memory we build here in Taiwan makes us appreciate this incredible gift all the more! A gift we already cherished and treasured!

And for our sweet girl, Lauren.....hi baby, how are you? I hope you had a good day at school and that your big ride to Mimi and Papa's house for the weekend was good! Are you helping Mimi keep Papa busy? You know about him.....he can get a bit onery, so Mimi will need all your help to keep him busy! ;) We love and miss you very much!! Mama will call again soon!! Hug Mimi, Papa and Lexi for us!!


One of the many cows on parade......beautiful park area.........

Our Eva airplane....who says it never rains in Southern California?? LOL
Us in front of the LOVE letter outside of Taipei 101.
Hugs to you all!!

15 comments:

Becky said...

Hi Lisa and Scott,

First thing I did when I got up this a.m. is check for a post! I am so thrilled you both arrived safe and sound and are having fun exploring the area. Sounds wonderful, and I love your pics - of course the cows and the LOVE sign - adorable. Count down to holding your new baby boy - I'm so thrilled for you both! Stay safe and enjoy all the special moments!

Hugs and Love,
Becky & Mike

Becky said...

Not sure if you're getting my post, or maybe it will be printed 5 times..lol... saying "comment moderation must be approved by the blog author"... hugs-becky

Mark & Kris said...

Lisa, so glad you are there and having a great time! Your pictures are great. Can't wait for you to pick up your little guy!! We are so happy for you. Kris

couey2007 said...

Yea! I'm glad you are now able to post. I loved reading about your experience! I really like the photo of the both of you standing in front of the "love" sign! It looks like you are having a great time. You are brave to be trying the local food. I stuck to American!

Michelle C, AL

Room for More said...

Lisa,

I can't believe the time is HERE! I am so excited for you!

Lisa said...

Lisa
You ae wonderful!! Your post made me feel like I was there with you. It sounds like you are truly enjoying Taipei. I cant wait to see Tyler..
LOL
Lisa R

loffer said...

Oh Lisa -tears, tears!!! I'm so glad you're there! This is the moment you've been waiting for all of these long months!

I love your descriptions of everything you are seeing! I can just imagine everything. Please keep posting with more wonderful details and more photos (with you in them!!!)

Hugs, hugs, hugs,

Lora O.

Anne Marie said...

What a wonderful, wonderful day! Lisa, you could write travel books -- you really make Taipei come alive. It really sounds the perfect day of exploration, and you look absolutely radiant in the photo! It's Sat. night there now -- I hope you are able to get some sleep tonight. I am so looking forward to hearing about tomorrow (if you have the chance), and especially Monday :)))

Sarah and Dan Sullivan said...

Lisa you are there!!!!!!! I have absolute chills reading your post!! Not because it looks cold, we Montanans also thought we were in a tropical paradise being there in December. I have chills because I can read in your blog how MUCH you are loving Taipei and that is exactly how we felt. Isn't it just wonderful??!! I love your pictures. I wish I were there with you!! I am so excited for you and I can't wait to see Tyler in your arms!!! SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! Sarah = )

Sarah k said...

Pinch yourself! lol... it is real and you are there!!!! I am sooo sooo happy for you guys and enjoyed your first official post from Taiwan! I hope you have a wonderful time there and that everything continues with wonder and amazement, safety and ease! The cow picture was great!!! I love it!!! It is so nice seeing you around familiar territory to me! lol... So happy for you going to cry!!! (happy happy!!) I love you and can't wait to see you with Tyler!
If you need anything let me know.

Sarah k

Journey to our baby said...

Sounds like everything is going really well! Now get some sleep :) Can't wait to see your next post! Have a wonderful time!!

Michele M said...

Just got home today and couldn't wait to check up on all my travelling friends. So glad you made if safely. The countdown is on now. Love your post.

Sarah said...

Enjoy Taipei! Make sure to ride the MRT. It's so fast, so clean, easy to use, and inexpensive. :)

Kerry said...

Goosebumps and big smiles reading your post. Yay Lisa- you are so close now. Thank you for your very detailed post describing Taipei- it sounds beautiful and so wonderful that you are immerging yourselves and taking in all that you can. Hugs friend. Have a wonderful day tomorrow and take it all in.
I am so very excited to see your Tyler Baby Posts!
XOXOXO
Kerry
still home in the Chicago cold!

QingLu Mama said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time, Lisa! I can't wait to see Taipei, you have described it so wonderfully and vividly, I felt like I was walking with you! Hope you get some good sleep before getting Tyler. Can't wait to see those awesome pictures! Have fun! Jennifer