Friday, March 6, 2009

Rhythm

(If you make it to the end, there are pictures awaiting!!....lol....cuz, I KNOW that's what you really want to see!!)

Exhale.......our family has hit our stride, found its rhythm & are settling into a blissful routine. It was a month ago today that we flew half-way around the world to bring home our baby boy. We knew him then only through glimpses & snippets and yet KNEW he was destined to complete our family. This time one month ago was filled with tremendous hope, regret over leaving our precious daughter at home while overseas ,anxiety and some fear of the unknown. I wondered at that time how this one tiny boy would blend into our established daily routine, how the dynamics of our family would change, would a strong sibling bond develop?.........I wondered what things made him smile, comforted him, engaged him........I yearned with my Mama's heart to breathe in his baby scent and hold him forever in my arms.

Inhale with joy & deep deep gratitude...........today I can say that we have weathered the shift in time zones, recovered from multiple germs, overcome jet lag and our transition, while far from complete, is successful. OH, I know there will still be those days.........all you ladies know what days I'm talking about.........one baby crying, in need of a bottle.....one six year old, intent on sharing a very elaborate story that demands complete attention ( cuz, yeah, there will be a quiz later!), cue in one barking dog.......a Mama who really needs to tee-tee ( and probably has not showered yet for the day!) and yep......the phone rings or doorbell dings..........feel free to insert ANY set of circumstances that fit your life today and you KNOW what I speak of! BUT this Mama is back in her own bed at night, relishing the sweet sighs of two angels asleep and safe in their own crib/bed(s) and believes that her family is gathering the strength of unity, love and "togetherness". And that's priceless......

Hiccup, with a giggle.........yes, so many of you have been sweet enough to inquire about how Lauren is adjusting to her role of Big Sis! The sickness (2!) she endured was certainly a hiccup, but in the past week plus we have seen the relationship between her and Tyler blossom and flourish. My heart sings with joy & pride when I witness his absolute delight and sheer pleasure when she walks into the room and calls his name. She reads to him daily and when he spies her approach with one of his favorite( he has several!) books, he begins to giggle....scoot along his bottom and babble like mad! I know for certain that her affection and attentions have greatly eased his grieving and helped him learn to recognize his new first name. I believe in my heart, that the joy she shares with him, is equal to the happiness that he has brought to her. The happiest time of my day is spent watching the two of them cuddle or play.


I wish to close this post today, with something for prospective adoptive Mamas....whether they be first timers, or readying themselves to bring home #4! Please do allow yourself adjustment time.......and even more importantly, the luxury of understanding that mistakes will be made( for my part, I've stopped counting..lol)........that expectations might be different from the reality ( for worse OR better!!) and not to push yourself quite as hard as you may be tempted in those first few weeks. I only partially heeded my own advice and hindsight ALWAYS graces us with crystal insight. I know I was hard on myself......I know there were times I should have rested, when instead I was sweeping, or cleaning the bathroom or worrying over something! If you can.......just allow yourself the gift of time............to embrace every moment of those fleeting first weeks!

Wishing you all a glorious weekend!


My sweet baby looks so big next to his Sis.....but look how tiny he really is in that huge crib!
Matching laughs and matching faces while they play!

I LOVE LOVE the look on his face whenever Lauren comes over to play! And if you look close, you can see her joy too!


Can't resist adding this one.......its one of their favorite games......Lauren dubbed it "Tyler Taxi". And no, we don't usually get him in his snowsuit....just a coincidence on this day! :) AND these past few days its been so beautiful and warm enough that our taxi service has finally made it outside!! Yay for early Spring!!

13 comments:

Casey said...

Such adorable pictures!!!!

~Casey

Michelle said...

Oh man...the picture of Lauren holding Tyler is absolutely precious!!! :) You'll love that one for years to come! :)

Lisa said...

Lisa,
I just wish you lived next door. Your posts lift me up when ever I read them. I love, love, love the pictures of Lauren and Tyler. He is a moosh master, so lay one on him for me. As for Lauren, what can I say? she gets all that positive happy energy from her mommy. I will try to head that last piece of advice if I ever get Miss Paige home. I tend to be hard on myself always.
LOL
Lisa R

White's Journey to Taiwan said...

Priceless. . . . I have tears in my eyes. I am so happy for your beautiful family. What a lovely girl your sweet Lauren is! And, Tyler is a doll baby!

But, perhaps, my tears are truly brought forth when I think of the angel both of these sweet babies have in their mom. You are a gift, Lisa. . . Every word you write is a glimpse into your soul. And, it is a beautiful one.
Thank you for sharing your precious family moments.

Journey to our baby said...

It is so nice to read your posts, so real and loving. You give me a lot of hope :) I am so glad to hear that your new family is doing well and Tyler and Lauren are so cute.

Carrie S. said...

Hi Lisa!
I am so excited for you!! I love to read and see how beautiful your children are!! They too are so lucky to have you as their Mom!! Congrats dear friend!!

rachel said...

great post -- great pictures! beautiful family!

Terry said...

Absolutely love the pictures of the kids together ~so happy !! Your post hits many of the real life things that parents face, can't get more heart felt or honest about it!! That's what makes it fun, parents learn just like the kids do, and together it makes a family!!

Tish said...

awesome post!!! so happy to hear all is going well...especially loved the update on the happy siblings! and the photos, of course!

QingLu Mama said...

Oh Lisa, I love these pictures! I swear I have been trying to write a quick note for days, but I can’t leave just a plain ole note, not after seeing these amazing photos of Lauren & Tyler! There is so much joy and love and absolute connection to each other! And the one of Tyler in his crib is darling. I am just in love with your children! The laughs and smiles on their faces are so beautiful and glowing. How your Mama’s heart must be swelling with pride and love!
And I am so glad to hear how well it is going for you all! What a grand feeling it must be to get that rhythm! And both the kids look like they’ve found it too! And sure there will be those tough moments, those make you appreciate the sweet ones all the more! And I love your wording about the strength of unity, love and togetherness…so wonderfully put!
I also love to hear about Lauren reading Tyler his favorite books, what great together time! She sure is a sweet girl and he sounds like he is just a joy to be around!
I have popped in and peeked at the pictures so many times, I am so happy whenever you post new ones, especially knowing how busy you must be!
Can’t wait for the next post!
Hugs to you my friend!
Jen
PS I meant to tell you, I love the peas a chance title on the last one...you are so clever. It really gave me a chuckle!

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

Ah.. to breathe again... it's good to see someone go through it. One day we will too. And yes, perfection is over-rated anyways.
;0) Glad to hear about you finding a rhythm and continue to find that rhythm like the ebb and flow of the ocean. Darling pictures and such a beautiful family. Many more happy moments to come!

couey2007 said...

Great post! Love all the photos. He looks so happy.

Michelle C, AL (JOH)

Anonymous said...

Soooo cute!