Thursday, May 21, 2009

Simple Pleasures

Our family has been so busy of late that with the arrival of these beautiful almost summer like temperatures we have been taking advantage of simple pleasures. Our days had been hectic with virtually every weekend committed(which we do LOVE) and our weekdays filled with work, school, play dates, outings, errands and just living. An unexpected outcropping of this has been a renewal by both Scott and I to pair down and simply "be". We have been keeping the laptop off for at least 2 weekdays per week and always on Saturdays. Our television has been dark most nights with the exception of the Blackhawks play-offs (Scott) and the finale of Survivor. :) We allow our answering machine to take our calls during mealtimes, story-times and honestly I usually miss most calls anyways during the day as it seems to only ring when I'm showering, have the kiddos in the tub or am putting the baby to sleep! LOL

So our new found time has been better spent with our children.........taking walks after supper.....spontaneous trips to the park on Sundays.......impromptu play dates with friends or neighborhood buddies......exercise.......even tackling the dreaded basement and all the clutter that seems to dominate. Things we always did before, but now find all the sweeter as it seems less rushed or less scheduled.

We are keenly aware of how fleeting time is; we see its incredible power each time we witness one of our babies accomplishing something new......experience another visit from the tooth fairy......as our Kindergartner begins the exciting transition to First Grader ( how did that happen??) and our baby boy says," night night" when we pull his shades down at bedtime and stands up so tall!

Summer pleasures.......simple pleasures.......just today I walked Tyler down the same path I strolled Lauren so many years ago. Some things have changed, but quite a bit was the very same and I smiled as I thought back with sweet nostalgia AND thought forward to joys yet to come. Then I put those musings aside and simply was in the moment......


I hope you enjoy a peek at some of our recent simple pleasures.......


We discovered "Mum Mum" baby crackers and our little cutie LOVES LOVES this snack! Also titled, "have cracker, will travel".

Tyler also adores his new Musical Chair! Our little monkey loves to dance!

He keeps us laughing all day long.......and look at those darling thighs!! What a baby!!

Bold
Do any of you remember Bloonies? Lauren was transfixed with this amazing bubble! I'm transfixed by her smile!


Dreaming of road trips yet to come..............


My pretty girl on her Groove-n-Go scooter. I don't remember these being around when I was little!! :)


Taking our walk.......Lexi has walked along with both kiddos over the years, but its not easy to tackle 80 degree temps while wearing a fur coat!


Always keeping watch while we play........our furry guardian girl!


Wishing you all a glorious holiday weekend and plenty of simple pleasures!!

8 comments:

rachel said...

your little guy is changing and getting so much HAIR!!!! he is adorable! both of your kids are gorgeous!

i think it's great that you are intentional about turning off the laptop and tv. we aren't big TV people (although we DID enjoy american idol!) but i use the computer as my way to decompress. lately i've been on less and have been much more productive.

and why *does* the phone always ring when we're in the shower, doing bedtime, etc?! i don't understand! i, too, let it go to the machine quite frequently.

have a great long weekend, lis!
rachel

Staci said...

I agree, Tyler has grown so much and has a ton of hair! He's so adorable!

I love this post! There's something about warm weather that makes me want to just slow down and spend time with family. It's sad how fast our little kiddos grow up, I'm trying to enjoy every moment. Super cute pictures! I love the one with the doggie on the stroller. ;)

Lisa said...

Ahh Lisa I must follow your cue. I need to turn off the computer, and start living in the moment. we are always runny here and there as well, and need to enjoy the moment. I love Tyler's hair and smile and you know I think Lauren is so beautiful. Lots of happiness going on in your house!!!!

lol
Lisa

Terry said...

Simple Pleasures indeed!! I was thinking about this as Adam's baseball season comes to a close, and how much I will miss just sitting back and watching all the boys play. Very enjoyable. As Emily's dance recital is coming up, I think about missing my down time to watch them.

But since those activites are winding down, our summer months bring, a slower pace, more down time, and a lot more family time!
We are not much TV watchers, mostly for the weather (for scheduled games) so rain days are movie days.
As a mom with bigger, 'little people' as I call them, I can say, that time goes by quickly as you enjoy the simple pleasures, so enjoy every minutes because next thing you know, your son is taller than you! LOL Yikes :-)

I can't believe all the hair Tyler has-so cute! Please let Lauren know that I love her scooter-very stylish! Great pictures!

Have a great weekend, sitting in the sun, enjoying the simple pleasures!!

couey2007 said...

Lisa thanks for the post. I bet all of our bloger friends are guilty of too much computer time. Before we started our adoption I might have been on line once every 2 weeks, now it is daily. I need to get motivated to spend more time with the kids too!! I love his hair!!!

Michelle C, AL

Anonymous said...

Glad you are lovin' life and havin' fun!

Mum Mums are the best!

loffer said...

Lisa,

Love the pictures! Sorry I haven't been able to check in as much as usual. Between giving up the Internet at home, and, as you mentioned, making more time for family, I don't get as much time to respond! I do get to peek at your blog now and then and so appreciate your updates.

Lora

P.S. Yes, I totallry remember those!

QingLu Mama said...

Finally! I got to look at this post in earnest. Love love love the new photos! Tyler is just so darling, I adore his wild hair! And Lauren gets more beautiful in every photo. Oh, and I can imagine it must be music to your ears to hear Ty say night night! How sweet. He looks like he is just the happiest baby!
I am tempted to follow suit and pair down with you, I think we do need time to just "be".
And isn't it amazing when the next season comes...each season I think to myself that this is surely my favorite...and then I fall in love with the newest season all over again!
Please tell Lexi that Emma feels her heat tiredness! We go 1/2 as far these days and the poor old.
I hope your Mom is doing better. Of course she is in my thoughts often, as are you!
Have a great evening...