Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A Close Call

This past weekend something very scary happened to one of my best friends.......to someone who has always given me(us) unwavering/unconditional support & love.......to my biggest cheerleader........to my hero

My Mom was in a horrific automobile accident on her way to a family shower in Burlington, Iowa involving 2 other vehicles. She was traveling Northbound at 55 mph in the right hand lane of a 4 way highway. A truck entered the road right in front of both lanes, causing both my Mom and the car in the left lane to collide head-on with it. The truck failed to stop at the stop sign or even look before proceeding into traffic. We know that he suffered extensive injuries and was life flighted to the nearest trauma hospital in the area. My Mom's car hit near his drivers' side and the impact forced her across the left lane of that side, across the median and through BOTH lanes of oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the road, before she smashed into a deep culvert on the other side. Every single airbag deployed in her vehicle and the reinforced metal held...........

Dazed, battered, bruised and frightened, my Mom stumbled from her vehicle and crept a safe distance from the car. Her fear was that the car would burst into flames. She walked away from that accident on her own two feet...................not without injuries, but she walked away.

While she waited for assistance two woman stopped to offer comfort. One young woman in particular was incredibly supportive. She took the shoes off of my Mom's feet and propped up the leg that was already starting to swell. She retrieved my Mom's purse & car keys from the battered car. Most significantly she sat there with my Mom for a very long time while help was summoned. She sat with my Mom so that she wouldn't be alone during what must have been a terrifying time. While they waited my Mom learned that this stranger had originally been on her way to decorate the grave of her own Mother, whom she had lost.( Deep breath..........)

My Mom was taken to the local hospital and scanned, x-ray ed, checked and rechecked. Miraculously she was released with no major injuries. Scrapes, bruising, contact burns, emotional distress yes...........but NO major injuries, no broken bones.

Our phone rang at just past 8 p.m. Sunday night; we knew immediately a phone call from home past 7 would not be good news. We were still unprepared for this news. My Mom said she delayed calling a bit so that we could get our kiddos down.........she didn't want to disturb our routine. That's just so my Mom........thinking of others during her own terrible ordeal. She recounted the accident as best she could. She humorously added that they are done with Red Camry's for now. She told me that I almost lost my Mom today, but that it must not have been her time. I know the Lord must protect so many, all of the time.............I know HE called home many people on that very day..........but it was not my Mom's time. Selfishly I thank him for sparing her. Her work must still be on this earth. How lucky we are!

The air bags deployed......the reinforced steel protected its precious cargo..........but it was HIS grace that protected her across four lanes of highway traffic and allowed her to walk from the car largely in tact. I know not every family is as fortunate; we still do not know the status of the gentleman driving the truck or the family in the lane next to my Mom. All we can do is pray.

And I know I will never be able to properly thank the young women who came to her aid, but maybe I can follow their example and be more giving.......more selfless.......there truly are angels walking among us..........I know, cuz my Mom met 2 this past Sunday.

And Mom, when you do eventually read this; when you feel well enough again to do so, please know that we rejoice in this miracle. We are so grateful for whatever time we all have together & will never ever take a moment for granted. And Mom.......we love you very very much!

P.S. Please don't be mad....I know you never like your own pictures, but you are beautiful and I need to work through this and share you with my blog community. Its therapy, ya know! You are an amazing Mom and an even more incredible Mimi to our babies!!

15 comments:

The Hernandez Herd said...

Oh Lisa, My tears are rolling. This must be so difficult for your Mom and your family. It was not her time,but still so scary. Give your Mom a BIG hug from me. I know, she does not know me and either do you ,really. But I have a Mom and I lost my Dad so I know how you feel. Hugs, Victoria JOH
Really, give her my hug so she knows she is thought of.

Lisa said...

Lisa,
Thank God. I can not imagine how you must be feeling. Those 2 women who stopped were surely angels. If nothing else it makes us take a deep breath and be thankful for those we have. Give your mom a big hug for me and here is a hug for you Lisa.
lol
Lisa

Anne Marie said...

OMG Lisa, I cannot believe this happened. Thank God your mother is OK. There surely are angels among us -- your mother included! My own mother was in a very similar car accident, and oddly enough someone just asked me about it tonight -- it does just take your breath away. I hope your mom heals quickly, both physically and emotionally.

Michele M said...

Lisa,

I cannot believe this story. I am so happy that your mother is safe and wasn't injured badly.

What wonderful people the 2 woman are who stopped to help and comfort your sweet mother. Its people like them that make the world a better place.

Hugs to you and your mom. I am thinking of you guys and praying your mom recovers quickly

loffer said...

Oh, Lisa! I am so thankful that your Mom was spared any injuries and that she had those wonderful angels on earth to help and comfort her! The Lord is good!
What a reminder to cherish each day and those we are given.

Lora

Lisa said...

Thank you all so very much. Your words of comfort and understanding are a soothing balm for my ruffled emotions.....I don't think I've processed this whole thing yet, but writing it down has helped a great deal.

I'm so appreciative to you all and feel very blessed in many ways today.

Hugs to you all!!
Lisa
P.S. I will give my Mom those hugs and I know she will read your thoughts when she is ready; they will make her smile, I know that! :)

Journey to our baby said...

Oh, I am crying right now just reading this. I am so grateful Mimi is ok, what a blessing. This is so close to the heart, I can not imagine how you felt and are feeling right now. What a blessing.

rachel said...

oh, lisa, i was welling up as i read your story. boy, i am so relieved that your mom is okay. i am so thankful that the stranger was there to help her. i am so glad that God protected her that day... for you, for your children, and countless others i am sure.

QingLu Mama said...

Oh gosh, Lisa. How scary and horrible to think of any outcome other than bruised and battered. Yes, her time is not up, she has way too much left to do, what with all her grandkids and all. I am making jokes but I am really feeling for you and how emotionally tough such a close call can be. I am so very glad she is OK and she is in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery, as are the others that were involved. And what an angel that stranger was that sat with her, what a selfless gift to give...
Hugs to you my dear friend.

momwithfaithandhope said...

Lisa, PTL for keeping your Mom safe. Having lost my mom at an early age, it's wonderful to see you cherish your mom the way you do. To see how you, yourself, are growing into your own mommy-role with your mom right there beside you. Tell your mom she's beautiful.

Casey said...

I, too, am so thankful your mom is okay. What an emotional time for all of you. You have so much to be thankful for.

Hugs to you.
Casey

couey2007 said...

WOW, What a post. I started crying while reading. I agree those who stopped to help are angels!!! I am so glad your mom is ok. I love the picture also.

R... said...

I am SO glad your Mom is ok!! Times like these remind us that we never know how much time we have. It's so easy to forget as we rush through all that life throws at us every day. Wishing you lots of time and good health for many years to come!!

R...

Cheryl said...

Your mom is beautiful!! Inside and out!!! And clearly, she has a beautiful daughter too!!! I am happy for you that you get to keep her close to you phyrsically for a while longer. Moms are irreplaceable that's for sure :)...gonna go tell my mom I love her :)

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Lisa,
so sorry I missed this!! This is terrible, and I am sure was so incredibly scary for your mom. I am relieved to hear she is okay and walked away with almost no physical injuries.

Glad someone stopped to help and offer comfort!!

I hope she recovers from any scrapes and bruises, but mostly from the emotional part of being in such a serious accident!!

Glad you got to go and visit and spend some time with her.

I will email you a few pic of Miss Hayden to include with your stuff to Mrs Chin!! Thanks for the offer. Hayden has already changed so much in just 2 months, and I think she would be interested in seeing her smile and her happiness!!

Tyler just has the best hair ever!!!!