Sunday, January 31, 2010

Collateral Benefits

Phew.....its been a busy week, but then again they all seem to be lately! :) Did I really imagine that Winter would usher in a period of calm and tranquility? LOL Oh, the beauty of blissful ignorance. ;)~

Yes, its been busy almost to the point of hectic, but then again I probably wouldn't have it any other way. And its ironic as this past weekend was actually fairly low key and packed with plenty O' quality time with family. I had hoped to blog earlier in the weekend but found myself unable (or unwilling ) to break the spell of the weekend peace & precious family time.

Now I sit, with both angels slumbering, reflecting back on this past week and I'm once again struck by something I have often chatted about on this forum ~ collateral benefits. Well, maybe not in so many words, but in essence its the often surprising and unexpected friendships and connections that spring from our status as an adoptive family. Many times I have expounded gratefully on the fabulous folks I have "met" through my Yah** group and of course the many amazing blogs & blog authors I follow along with. I'm struck time & again by the sheer beauty of each family and the immense talent I see tucked between the lines, sentiments, photos and archives of fellow bloggers(AP's or not). Often its the comments I receive from others that have given me the boost and/or courage needed to continue with my own blog..........

And through the many years since Lauren's homecoming there have been numerous instances of lasting friendships forged simply because we shared this adoptive connection with another; simply because we walked a path similar to another and found in each others' footsteps a commonality of shared experiences, hopes, dreams & faith tested.....and rewarded.


This past week we had an opportunity to plan play dates with 2 beautiful babes born overseas ~ a treat for both Tyler and I! The first was with a darling little man adopted last Spring from S. Korea. We first met Baby I and his Mama in summer story time hosted at our local library and we all hit it off immediately. "I"is just one month older than Tyler and is a first baby for his lucky folks! Our story times continued and our boys keep growing ~ and its humbling and exciting to watch this friendship unfold; and a bit awesome that our paths crossed all those months ago.....two Mamas of baby boys, brought home from the other side of the world, who just happened into the same library program on a random Monday in June..........amazing really.

Also this week we were blessed to meet with Andrea and the beautiful "Baby W" a fellow Taiwan adoptive Mama and a family that lives near our area. She is also active on our Yah** board, or was way back when before the demands of two chickadees kept her hopping in the best of ways! W has THE most enchanting eyes and the sweetest little disposition....and her Mama has to be one of THE very nicest gals I have ever met. We hope to plan future play dates and what a wonderful connection for us all.

AND yes, there are a few photos, but masterpieces they are not! LOL The children are masterpieces certainly but catching active toddlers on film & doing it well???......well, that's just outside the scoop of my abilities! But I hope they will show first hand the blessings these collateral threads have brought our family and continue to bring........we are so thankful to be part of this amazing community of families!


Look at these 3 amigos(Elmo too!).......and NO its not easy to get two wee boys to sit much less look at the camera at the same time! LOL At least Elmo was a good sport! ;)

I actually luv this shot as it showed their cooperative play. Tyler did "okay" sharing his things(its a long process, that sharing process) but given that this age is more about "parallel play" I felt lucky to catch this shared moment. Naturally two boys bonding over cars.
And then....play date with a pretty lady!

I caught too much flash on Tyler's face.....but I'm smiling big here cuz look how happy he was to play with "W". And yup, he WAS on his way off that chair....LOL....and she was working hard at getting that boot off! LOL


Sitting pretty ................ W's Mama told me this is her "say cheese" smile these days. giggle....Isn't she sweet as sugar? Oh, and Tyler is 8 months or so younger but yup, he's that much bigger! What a big boy and oh yes, he relishes practicing his charms on a beautiful lady!


And yes, Lauren's been having some play dates too in between school, basketball & more..............this is one of her best buddies from school.
And finally(below) & totally off topic....... these past few months Lauren has been teaching Tyler how to "really" play hide-n-go seek........he's doing well, though his joyful giggles usually give him right away! :) I just couldn't help myself with this one.......its so perfect to catch a little man who believes that he is in fact well concealed simply because he can't see us! What a hoot!
Can you see him trying to suppress his own glee and laughter?? I just love it...and when I play and catch him, he squeals with delight and hollers out, "me me me" and barrels right into my legs for a big ole bear hug!

And 'lookie' who else plays along? *grin* Yup, she imagines herself well hidden too......so long as she can't see us, then we can't see her.....right?? But the whole time ~ the whole time, that furry little tail just wags with eagerness.
Hope you all had a grand weekend and a wonderful week ahead! Its almost Monday.....manic Monday!

15 comments:

Staci said...

Oh my goodness!! First of all Happy Birthday!!! I hope this next decade is filled with wonderful blessing :)

I LOVE the hide n seek pictures, too cute. It is truly amazing how adoption has led to so many friendships that would otherwise never happen. I tell ya these children are such little miracles. What fun playdates for baby Tyler!

Btw, I loved your xmas card! Thank you.

Hugs

Unspoken said...

Very cool to meet people from your yah** group! I hope I get to some day. lots of darling shots!

Also, I see it is your birthday! Happy Birthday to you!

xxAmy

Wanda said...

Oh Lisa, what a beautiful and loaded post. We all are so fortunate to have made these connections that bind us together. I'm forever amazed at what has happened to us since we began this journey.

How wonderful that you "happened" on this mama and her boy at the library. Even more wonderful for them - they met the best!

WHAT!!! I just read the other comments now. It's your birthday - and you didn't say anything. You!!!! Happy Birthday Lisa!! Sorry, if you wanted to keep it under wraps and have been outed. I hope your day was just perfect!

Love all the pictures you posted. Especially the hide n seek. It's still Dahlia's favorite game - she can play it for hours with Daddy and he (amazingly) doesn't tire of it. We used to have a cat ("Satchmo") who, every night when I would call the other cats to go to their room (yes, they had a room)he would hide under the desk with his eyes closed. And everytime I would "find" him, he would opened his eyes in such shock that he had been discovered. D'uh. He was a cutie though.

Have a wonderful birthday week. (A day is not long enough to celebrate - call it your birth week!)

Hugs,
Wanda

Deborah said...

You are fast approaching that first anniversary of Gotcha day. Amazing how much faster the time goes after Baby comes home. Congratulations on the year, and best wishes for much happiness in the next year with your beautiful family.

momwithfaithandhope said...

Too cute! I love that Tyler really thinks he's hidden! I can just seem him running to you with glee! The journey of adopting is full of surprises, tears, and blessings. . .and I'm so glad that my journey lead me to yours. I enjoy your thoughtful posts, ALWAYS. And good for you for not breaking up the family time to blog! I ignored the laundry just so I could. . .LOL!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

So many things to comment on here...

First, I too, find it very hard to blog on the weekend. I just don't want to sacrifice family time... and i find that that nap time is perfect for catching up on my own sleep!

How wonderful that you have two local connections... I really need to find some of those as well.

And how cute are those playmates?! It looks like a fun time was had by all...

QingLu Mama said...

Oh where to begin?
I love Tyler's play dates...so adorable and the start of a new "big boy" phase in your lives. He is, as always, a ray of sun with that magical smile and sweet disposition!

I love the hide n seek...Ollie and Lexi could hide together as that is one of his "things" as well. And I love that you caught such a cool shot of Tyler's hiding. How absolutly darling! I can hear his giggles now...

And finally, yes these amazing connections we make through being adoptive families is wonderful. My "normal" friends don't get how we can openly chat with complete strangers at the park for forty min...just because we share adoption. It's a special and close bond we are all so lucky to be able to share.
I know I am so glad our paths crossed, as you have been such a support, inspiration and great friend!
Jen

Kelli said...

It is always so much fun to connect with fellow APs/blog friends. Looks like so much fun!

rachel said...

great photos! beautiful, beautiful children!

as we prepare to travel, i am reminded now more than ever about how grateful I am for the APs who have gone before me. they have held my hand (figuratively, of course!) through this whole thing, giving me advice and sharing wisdom and I have learned so much from them. we would be soooo unprepared for travel without them.

then there's the support and comments from wonderful people like YOU which have served to encourage me and boost my spirits when I've needed it.

I am so grateful for this community we have... and for YOU!

HUGS!

Shelly and Family said...

Love the photos - especially the one of the dog half under the bed lol! I feel like that a many of days...

Here's to a great week ahead!

Mama Shoe said...

Collateral benefits... I love that. What a blessing to have a community of friends to walk alongside our journey. Thanks Lisa, for comin' over to visit and your encouraging comments, makes it so much more fun!
--gracee in So. Cal

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

LOVE the pics and YES I can agree that adoption brings so many into yoru life, not just your little one it is all about! :)

blessings,
Tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

Sally Bacchetta said...

Lisa, Thanks for your gracious congratulations. "Vision and perseverance"... yes, writing the book HAS been a lot like adopting :)

I love your blog, and your pictures are stunning. You have a knack for stopping time just for a moment.

I really relate to this post about collateral benefits. I've always referred to them as "secondary blessings", and it's one of the amazing things about adopting.

Make a great day!

Sarah and Dan Sullivan said...

So true so true!!! I feel like I have been so blessed to "meet" such an amazing bunch of people through our adoption experience. I feel it has been such a positive and growth producing experience. Tyler is soooo BIG!!! When did that happen. It's also fun to see Willow. Most importantly, Happy Birthday!! I hope you have another great year!! Sarah = )

Tracy said...

Hey I know the little boy in the one picture! His name starts with an I and ends with a c!!!

Great pictures.