Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Decades

In my early 20's I graduated from college. I became a young adult, a bride and a wife. I witnessed with a certain sadness the ending of a few childhood friendships & whims while at the same time celebrated new relationships, passions, hobbies, ideals & goals. I became friends ( real friends) with my Sister and along the way I discovered the incredible gift of being an Aunt.

In my 20's I discovered politics, corporate America & built a first home. I began one career and then through a twist of fate found another. I returned to school for a Masters' Degree and upon graduation found a calling ~ teaching.

In my mid to late 20's, my Mama's heart began beating louder and my (our) attentions turned to children. What a journey it was to be!

In my 20's I began to truly understand unconditional love and humility. In my 20's I discovered that yes, "Mom does know best". Or at least my Mom does. :)

And later...........

In my 30's I settled into a routine, only to watch it shaken and stirred time & again.

In my early 30's I finally became a Mama. Oh, glory be ~ a baby girl waited us in Kazakhstan! I cast down everything I knew and together with Scott embarked on a 3 week sojourn around the world to find our daughter ~ our beautiful Lauren. In my 30's I discovered that true love can be found in one tiny perfect being & that surrendering to that love is the most empowering emotion in the world. The most basic of instincts........

In my 30's I left a profession that I cherished, knowing well the greater reward that awaited ~ knowing the privilege I was given with that choice. I became a stay at home Mama with all of its challenges and joys!

In my 30's I found my Mama's voice but also learned to listen....... to really listen to a child's' sweet laughter & whispers ~ to their fears and their dreams. I found I could discern a frustrated cry from a true hurt and could identify which coughs would lead to a restless night or fade away in a day. I found my joys in the small moments.........in the little details that make up a day.

In my mid 30's I could no longer deny the stirrings in my heart for baby #2; for I knew well that a leap of faith was not necessary but a steady hand and heart were indispensable. Of course my heart still shattered with joy, love & vulnerability at the sight of our little man and it was then that I remembered & better understood the lessons of unconditional love & humility inherited from my 20's. A new country, a new program......a family of 3 becoming 4.

In my 30's I learned that indeed you can have more than 1 miracle and that the heart can expand to equally cherish and adore another. That Mama's lap can safely hold 2 babies and that sometimes the laundry just has to wait!

In my 30's I stood on the soil of 2 beautiful foreign lands that are forever etched in my soul, mind & heart. Forever part of me.......forever part of our family.


TODAY is my birthday and I am turning 40. A new decade unfolding............

Yesterday I joked that I would forever more be celebrating my "39th" birthday. But today I feel invigorated. Today I dared to peek in the mirror and the face looking back was actually smiling! Today has been a wonderful day! I even had breakfast in bed compliments of sweet Lauren ~ dry cereal has never tasted so yummy! :)

And I can't help but to wonder about the years to come and anticipate the joys, struggles and adventures ahead.

In my 40's I will awake one morning and find that my best girl has become a tween and later still a teenager! *gasp* She will *gulp* one day drive a car, undoubtedly begin dating ( well maybe in my late late 40's....lol...) attend slumber parties, summer camps & find new boundaries to test( I'm sure). Our precious baby boy will ride a tricycle & then a bike! He will start school, tackle projects, climb trees and join a sports team or 2. He will discover life beyond Mama & home.*sniffle* Both will have new friendships, suffer disappointments & celebrate triumphs. They will grow and change, discovering new things about themselves and the world around them. And in so many ways, I will too!

God willing, both will continue to spread their wings, reach for their dreams, thrive and blossom ~ always knowing how very proud of them I am! How lucky I am to be their Mama!

So..... in my 40's and throughout it all (and as each year passes marked by another birthday) I will continue to peek at that mirror and smile (no matter how many gray hairs I find! Ack!) ~ for I know well that my 2 greatest gifts have already been received and they are magnificant to behold at any time and in any decade. My Lauren & Tyler............my 2 answered prayers.

21 comments:

Wanda said...

Lisa, Lisa. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!

I just love this post. You sound (and are) so very happy, contented and grateful - it just oozes out of you. You have a beautiful story to tell. (You have started that book, I hope.)

How refreshing the way in which you are embracing a new decade. (Funny, 40 didn't bother me - but 30 did. I guess I really didn't want to grow and by 40 I gave that up. Not really, I'll never grow up haha.)

But it's beautiful how you've embraced everything life has offered you with a beatuiful and thankful heart. I know you enjoyed your special day!

Hugs, my friend!

Shirley H. said...

Thanks for the sweet comment you left to my blog.. I asked that question about Tyler is because its seem like Tyler is enduring the tickles as my god daughter likes to endure instead of wriggling since baby..

Happy Birthday Lisa! Wish that all your special dreams come alive, even those quiet ones you keep to yourself! Enjoy your special day!

Lou Ann said...

Thank you so much for your comments on my blog and HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA! What a nice gift from the birthday girl to Lexie & I. I've skimmed your blog and want to say....what beautiful children you have!!! They are just dolls and seeing them together just makes me want to go for number two even more. I look forward to catching up on your family's story and then watching you all grow together in love.

Have a wonderful day!

Lou Ann & Lexie too

Katie said...

Happy Birthday Lisa! I still think writer will be in your list of careers at some point. I also turned 40 this year and feel very blessed!

Maybe I will see you at a Chinese New Year event...

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA!!!!

I have goosebumps on my arms and chills this was so beautiful (I agree... you need to be a writer)
I always try to embrace "where I am" but sometimes I lose sight of that ... this is a wonderful, heartfelt, inspiring reminder.

Hope this year is your BEST YEAR YET.

Mark & Kris said...

Happy Birthday, Lisa!! Hope you have a special day!! I'm right there with you at 41!! Hugs!! Kris

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Happy Birthday my dear friend!! You will love your 40's

While you are one lucky mama, your kiddos are pretty lucky that they have such an amazing mama with the biggest kindest heart:) Loved your post and may I just say "Ditto"

Hope you had a happy day and have a wonderful year ahead!!

Journey to our baby said...

Happy Birthday, and thank you for sharing, what a beautiful recap. We are so blessed to be mama;s :)

momwithfaithandhope said...

Happy Birthday Lisa! Sorry I've been so absent. I enjoyed, as always, reading your post. You're always so real. You write beautifully, you write from the heart, and a big heart it is! May this invigorating decade bring you blessings abound. How neat it would be if you are still blogging when you turn 50 so I can enjoy reading your reflections on your 40's. I certainly enjoyed reading about the "decades" you have lived, loved, and learned from. . .thank you for always reminding me of what's most important in life.

QingLu Mama said...

Oh, happy happy happy Birthday my sweet friend!!!!
I love the lessons learned throughout your decades, lessons that changed shape along with your growing family, growing love...

What amazing things you've done, accomplished and experienced...and imagine all those to come in this next decade! You wove such a wonderful spell of becoming a woman, a wife and a Mama, and doing it gracefully! Phoooy on gray... gives us character, shows we've lived life!
I am so glad to hear your special day is so extremely wonderful (good job Lauren! Dry cereal is the perfect "turnin 40" food!)

Have the bestest Birthday possible, yu so deserve to celebrate all of your accomplishments, joys and gifts!
Jen

Tracy Ann said...

Happy Birthday Beautiful Lady!!!

Loved this post. I'm sure you were an amazing teacher.

Half Gaelic, Half Garlic! said...

Happy Birthday Lisa!!!

What a beautiful post.....and what a wonderful decade you have had:) I am sure the 40's will bring you lots of love and happiness!

Your children are gorgeous....you are very blessed to have follwed your heart to them both. What an awesome story.

Thank you so much for stopping by today..... and I apologize for the email mix up..... I clicked on the wrong link:(

I hope that you will come back and visit soon!

Lisa

Lisa said...

Oh I missed this post yesterday... happy birthday to you!!!! Welcome to the "other side" lol.... what a decade it will be. I feel better and more content in my 40s than I did in any other decade.. I hope you had a wonderful day.
Lisa

Kelli said...

Happy happy birthday! Such a beautiful post. i hope the next year...decade is the best one yet!

kitchu said...

40 was exactly like that for me. And so far, i was right all along... they've been the best 2 years of my life :O) i'm sensing it just keeps getting better and better.

happiest of bdays to you.

rachel said...

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

i cannot, CANNOT, believe you are 40. you look early 30s for sure. but then again, my husband is 41 and he is such a kid... at least at heart. :)

may your next decade be your best one ever!

much love to you, friend!

The Hernandez Herd said...

Wow, I am impressed . In my 20's I was still figuring life out and fooling around. Welcome to the fabulous 40's, it is a great club to belong to. I really enjoyed turning 40. It seemed like a new begging.I had a hard time with 27, I thought I was so old. Sounds ridiculous now.
Enjoy, it just gets better! Victoria

Tish said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! what a great way to turn 40...with excitement and vigor! hooray!!!

Ching said...

Happy Birthday Lisa! I hope you had a great time celebrating your 40th! We'll do some more celebrating with the Chinese New Year just around the corner!

Ching

Unspoken said...

Lisa, Happy Birthday! The forties are really fabulous because you know yourself and get what is important to you in your life. It is a really great place to be.

I am astounded at my love for a tiny girl who steals my breath everday! I know what you mean about kids!

Mama Shoe said...

Just wanted to say hi. I "feel" your post and can relate to much of what you've shared. Happy belated birthday...welcome to the 40's!