Monday, February 15, 2010

Gong Xi Fa Cai!!

Xin Nian Kuai Le!!
Gung Hay Fat Choy!!
Happy New Year!!

and last but absolutely not least......

Happy Valentine's Day!

Yesterday we took the kids downtown to Chinatown in celebration of the Chinese New Year. Our first visit to Chinatown was last July to attend the Dragon Boat Races and we just fell in love with the area, the food, the folks and the yes, the shopping! :) Last year we were readying ourselves for travel to Taiwan during the CNY and our celebration was limited to purchasing a few books and reading them with Lauren. So it was with much pleasure that we celebrated the Lunar New Year this year as a family of 4!

We were relieved to awaken to a sunny and relatively mild day........yep, still wintry, but decent all things considered! We should have anticipated the extra crowds such a day would bring......my gosh it was crowded and the name of the day quickly became, "patience" AND celebration! We walked a whole lot further than expected from our remote & slightly creative parking spot *grin* and the kids were such troopers. Once we arrived though, it was complete celebration and FUN! We shopped a bit, looked around a lot and felt very welcome.

For those who may not know, the Chinese New Year begins with a new moon and finishes on the fifteenth day, which is a full moon. It generally falls between mid January and mid February each year and the fifteenth and final day, The Lantern Festival, marks the end of the festival. Last year, sweet baby Tyler was placed in our arms on the 9th of February or Lantern Festival and we witnessed much preparation & joy all around Taiwan. This new year marshalls in the Year of the Tiger!! Grrrrrrr.........

Below are some photos of our day and a bit of the celebration leading up to it. I'm a bit behind in wishing everyone a Happy New Year and I just can't wait to see how everyone else has celebrated the CNY and Valentine's Day!

LOL I have to laugh as I see this pic and the next one too. During a quiet moment on Saturday Tyler motioned towards the outfit we purchased for him in Taiwan(we have it hanging in his room). Often he asks to wear it, just as he did on his First Birthday, but usually I defer and distract. :) On this day though a wee light bulb when off and my yen to snag a photo or two of him experiencing this holiday in traditional dress spurred me on! Perfect, right? Ha! Ha! Not so much.....I said he could wear it if Mama could take his picture and he readily agreed. Mmmm hmmmm.......he was only all too eager to accommodate Mama UNTIL that camera appeared ~ then the Taiwan tornado appeared and I was lucky to snag the above picture of him playing with his zodiac animals and below, reading a few of our CNY books. But its hard to stay mad at him, cuz he's so darn cute and clever!



Our two tigers just before heading downtown! We found these matching shirts thanks to a tip from a fellow Taiwan Mama friend and of course especially Lauren LOVED LOVED matching with her baby brother! However, like so many other Mamas of toddlers ~ sitting happily for a picture? No, not so much! :)


Yep, a bit happier to be on the move and wearing the hat he insisted Lauren put on for him! LOL
In Chinatown, posing in front of the Tiger zodiac statue. They have a beautiful statue for each sign situated in the main plaza of the outdoor mall area. Mama ~ happy. Lauren ~ gleeful. Tyler ~ not too tickled to be trapped in the little stroller!

I know this is far away, but I wanted the sculpture of the horse to show. Lauren is a Horse and just loved this spot!

Mid day brought a festive parade down Wentworth. So many floats and groups to enjoy and above and below are a few of the parade entries.

We were so excited to see this Taipei 101 float and the other Taiwan participants! The children on board were all so cute and excited to shout out, "Happy New Year'!

Just after we finished our yummy meal, 2 dragons and a small band began touring the square area and ducking into each restaurant and store. Both Tyler and Lauren were transfixed by this procession and we followed it for quite some time!

And of course we celebrated Valentine's Day too. This year the children found lucky red envelopes tucked into their treats and presents. All in all a charming way to blend two holidays that represent family, tradition and love.
Wishing you all a blessed year ahead!

9 comments:

momwithfaithandhope said...

Gung Hay Fat Choy to you too!! I had to laugh at Tyler's face and then I smiled when I realized why! Boys will be boys. . .I bribe the boy in our family all the time. BEG and PLEAD for photos.

Looks like you had a great time in Chinatown, and love how you blended the two holidays together! I was completely overwhelmed with everything on the same day. . .You've got your stuff together lady! Send me some "organization tips"! LOL

So is it the picture or did Lauren sprout up?! Her legs look a mile long!

LivingSimply, SimplyLiving said...

I was so excited when I saw your pictures.....b/c everywhere we travel we visit the China town there..and take pics..and I RECOGINIZED THE PICTURE IN FRONT OF the tiger as when we visited there we EACH TOOK OUR PICTURE IN FRONT OF OUR ANIMAL..oh my....I do not want to announce where you live..but check my blog and I will post the pics of us in front of the animals as well...heehee...
There was the FANTASTIC restaurant there(do not remember the name) but we ate there over and over they have like a juice bar right in the front where they make the best drinks and put in black tapioca balls...OH HOW WE LOVED THEM...and crave them until this day..they were that GOOD!
Your children are absolutely beautiful...
Gung Hay Fat Choy to your family...
Annmarie

Tracy Ann said...

Looks like a great time! I love the matching t-shirts.
Where did you find those. Looks like it's still pretty chilly there. You got some great photos.

Also, I love the song on your slideshow, I think I will have to copy that for Maya's adoption video I'm working on.

Happy New Year!

Mark & Kris said...

Lisa, looks like you had a great day!! How fun!! Your kids are just precious. Cool how you blended the 2 holidays together, too!! Kris

Wanda said...

Oh Lisa, this post was so worth the wait. I'm just in from a crazy day and was thrilled to see you'd update.

What a fabulous time you had in Chinatown. I loved every one of your photos you 'managed' to capture. Glad you threw in one of you - you cute thing you! Do that more....'k?

I don't know why but we haven't ventured out on CNY to Chinatown ourselves. We usually have a few parties and gatherings to attend but I love the idea of just wandering among the folks all celebrating together. Next year!!

And yesterday marked a year since the day you finally had your sweet son in your arms. What a special day that was! I don't know how you ever get anything done with his cuteness around. Your children could not be cuter and I love seeing them cuddleing together in the same pic. Sweet, sweet!!

Gong Xi Fa Cai!!! Ya gotta love the Chinese for making a holiday that lasts for 15 days!

Hugs,
W

Staci said...

Happy New Year!! Looks like you all had a lot of fun. Love Tyler's outfit and the tiger tees. And the Hello Kitty red envelopes! You are such a good Mommy!

Shirley H. said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Taiwanese celebrate the last day of Chinese New Year eating rice balls and lantern!

In Singapore and China, we have rice balls.. Lantern and mooncake are for Mid Autumn Festival which is 8 months away after last day of Chinese New Year..

Did you guys have fun at Chinatown? I bet yea!

Kelli said...

Looks like a great way to spend the holiday! I really want to get up to Chinatown. Maybe this spring but it would be fun to be there for a new year celebration. Happy new year!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

I've been saving this one... I skimmed when you first posted (ok, ok I really just looked at the photos!) but I knew I'd be more excited to read it the night before we go to celebrate New Year's in a local Asian community. I was right! Now I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve. Our celebration will be different on many levels, but I just can't wait to see what it brings now...

I love all the photos (especially the one with YOU) and those matching shirts are oh-so-cute! I also love T wearing his traditional dress... can he explain to S how much FUN it is?! Please?!

Anyway - happy new year! (a little late... but not too late... I'm still within the 15 days!) :-)