Friday, February 26, 2010

She's Got......

She's got.......

something........

something that propelled her to read before the age of 5........

something that drove her to master the deep end of the swimming pool, simply because she wanted to jump from the diving boards and ride the water slides like the big kids.......

something deep within herself that squelches any self- doubt and says, "yes, you can" tackle those Heelies/roller skates, even if only by sheer will.......even if it means stumbles & falls....

something that whispered urgently last year ~ it's time for a snowboard ~ and when none arrived it told her to improvise by standing up and riding down the hills on her sled ~ until the long awaited snowboard DID arrive this year!

something.......yep, call it moxie, courage, strength, passion, stubbornness(lol) or will.......

she's got it and I need to share it with you all before Winter takes it final bow! ( well, yes, wishful thinking as I'm sure we will be celebrating this "season of the white stuff" for a bit longer....LOL ) *sigh*

I think.......

this "something" is something she was born with(and needed) & interestingly its tempered well by her innate caution ~ she's not reckless, just determined! Her Daddy & I can encourage, support & foster each endeavor, but honestly its all hers! Just this past week she asked me what the average age of an Olympic Snowboarder is..........hmmmm......Winter Olympics 2022?? :)~ Would she board for the U.S. or maybe Kazakhstan? Who knows? :) I just know she's our very best girl and I would travel the world to cheer her on, no matter what the challenge big or small!


I love the look of sheer anticipation on her face as she sets her sights down the hill......
From further back......

Hanging on to the ride with joy and grit............in truth? Snowboarding IS NOT easy! LOL


And yes, there are plenty of falls too......sometimes they discourage her too........


But she gets back up with greater resolve.......

And keeps trying & trying.......
**********************************************************************************************

Summer dreaming.........off the high dive she goes!

And the low board too.......


And yes, that strong will and determination can be exasperating as her Mama at times too. But when I look at that face I can only admit that courage without the caution and sweetness without the occasional sass, just wouldn't be our Lauren! Remind me of that please when the "tween" years arrive! :)

Happy Weekend everyone! (Busy tomorrow all day)....but Sunday afternoon?, look for us on the slopes! :) I'll be the one whose holding her breath while cheering her on! Oh yes, and I'll be pulling the baby up the hill on the sled so he can ride too! Cuz guess who else is already eyeballing a "no bosh"(snowboard)???? yep...... Ha! Ha! Ack!

16 comments:

Tracy Ann said...

What a beautiful post and stunning photos. What an amazing mother you are. It is difficult finding that balance where you let their spirit soar, but have to parent and set boundaries at the same time.

I'm impressed with her snowboarding, that is a very difficult sport. With her determination and wonderful parents she could go to the Olympics.

Tracy

Unspoken said...

She sounds fabulous in every way!

Staci said...

You got some great shots! So awesome she's learning to snowboard at her age, just think how much confidence it will give her. Our girls need to find hobbies they can be proud of. Good job Mama :) I grew up skiing and then tried to snow board in my 20's. Didn't happen, that board this is SO hard! Hope you guys have a super time on the slopes this weekend!

We have officially begun a count down to summer...love the pool pics.

Wanda said...

What a delightful little girl....just ready to take on the whole world and embrace everything there is. I love it!!!

But I'm with you...I'd be holding my breath a lot too.

Enjoy the slopes on Sunday. Maybe there won't be too many of them left. (haha....wishful thinking.)

And tell Lauren her aunties are so proud of all her accomplishments. Way to go, girl!!!

xoxo

Donna said...

What a remarkable, and thoroughly beautiful, girl!

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Mark & Kris said...

We will be watching for her in the Olympics!!! Isn't it so fun to see her personality blooming? Lauren sounds like a beautiful little girl with a beautiful spirit!!!

jenbusymom said...

What an awesome post, I so enjoyed reading it! She looks so great out there! Maybe one day she'll have her own private half pipe to enjoy! Have a great weekend!

momwithfaithandhope said...

She's got SOMETHING all right. . .I'd say she's got intelligence, talent, courage, coordination, and to top it all off, BEAUTY. . .and let's not forget she's GOT one of the BEST Moms around supporting her every desire, and cheering her on to great marks in school, and down those slopes!

Kelli said...

She is a determined and amazing little girl. I know you know this but you are a one lucky mommy! Can't wait to watch the Olympics and say I knew Lauren when...:D

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Oh boy... I think that Spencer my just idolize your daughter now! I'm so impressed with her mad skills on the board as well! Wow.

Oh, and my little man has a snowboard shirt that says "Chairman of the Board" (with a snowboarding penguin on it...) Maybe L needs a "Chairwoman of the Board" shirt?!

And the part about the sled improvisation made me laugh out loud (cause it's funny) and cringe (cause I can see someone else I know doing that) all at the same time.

PS - Thanks for the sweet comments on my blog and checking in. I'm trying to respond to everyone by the end of the weekend!

Shelly and Family said...

Oh that is one brave little girl there lol! I so remember those days of being fearless...{sigh}

BTW - Amazing photos!

Hope you are having a great week!

and...finally catching up here and your B&W Wednesday photos are just beautiful! Great Job!

QingLu Mama said...

Oh I just love it! What a girl...and you captured her spirit so well in both the photos and your words! Whatever she decides to do in her future she will obviously do it with all her heart!

She is not only a beautiful girl, but she is strong and determined....so beautiful inside and out.

And yes, she was born with that will and personality but with you and Scott fostering it she will become an amazing adult!
I look forward to watching the 2022 Olympics! I'll be the one yelling "Go Lauren, go Lauren!!!"

I owe you an email my friend...promise to write soon!
Hugs
Jen

LivingSimply, SimplyLiving said...

What a great post about your sweet daughter....she is definitely blessed by her wonderful parents as you are blessed with such an amazing daughter....her beauty, her strong will, her determination..She will make one fine adult some day...
looking forward to seeing her as an Olympian CHAMP..I predict the GOLD:)

Natalie said...

What a determined little one! I love that.
Fabulous photo's!

Heather - The Wanna-be Super Mom said...

awesome pics...I love the ones of Lauren snowboarding. My favorite thing about Hsin is that although she waits a while to do something...it is because she is figuring it out...and once she does it, she does it quick and well. I love that she "considers" everything before starting it.

Mama Shoe said...

Beautiful girl!! I love it when a girl's got perseverance and resolve... she'll go far!