Tuesday, February 9, 2010

One Year Ago Today

One year ago today the most beautiful baby boy imagineable was placed into our arms. He was 7 months old to the day and perfect in every way possible ~ perfect for us.

In thinking of this day, I am struck by the understanding that its so much more than one day or even one moment in time; its a collection of moments, both big & small that truly create a family. The shared laughter and joys......the moments of struggle and misunderstanding.......moments of pure bliss & of self- doubt. Trips to the park...ordinary errands & outings...... picnics......evening walks around the block and stories at bedtime.....heads bent over coloring books and hanging treasured ornaments on the Christmas tree. Discovering yourself & one another, while uncovering the sweet cadence of everyday family life.

One year ago we glimpsed our precious son and finally held him in our arms. A day of celebration and joy for us; a day of confusion and sadness for someone so small. In looking back on our photos & videos I am again struck by his magnificent resilience as he was swept away from the only home he knew by 2 strangers. For certainly, though our love for him had grown all along, sadly his awareness of us was limited to a 30 minute visit in his foster home.

He grieved ~ I know he did, though it mostly manifested itself late at night. Missing his familiar faces, sounds, scents & surroundings must have been terrifying. Our hearts broke in unison for his loss & pain while at the same time wept with wonder at his stunning spirit and willingness to embrace this change. So quickly he opened his heart completely and totally to us. A gift beyond measure and a measure of his strength.

This past year has challenged us in ways I didn't think possible; this past year has also blessed us more than I can adequately express or anticipated.

I awoke last night to his sweet baby stirrings and gathered him close to rock and soothe. I realized then that only one short year ago it was another set of arms that would have cradled and held him close. Another pair of loving arms in the night.

Today and for the past year, it has been my (our) blessed arms to soothe and hold this gentle babe. My hands have bathed, diapered, dressed, hugged, caressed, protected and encircled. My lullabies that softly reassured in the night and greeted in the light of morning. My smile turned to his, our laughter ringing out in a shared moment of glee. My voice that cried out in warning or shared in teaching. My heart that shattered with joy at the arrival of this second miracle child. This amazing baby boy!

Not a day goes by that I don't thank god for the privilege and gift of being Tyler Pei-En's Mama(and of course our beautiful Lauren's too.). One year ago today I whispered in his ear.....murmurings of love, devotion and reassurance. I pledged to him that each day would be better than the next and I pray I have been able to keep that promise.

Words have honestly failed me this past week as I've thought back on our travels last year and all the days since(and that just doesn't happen often!).......my hope is that the pictures(slide show) below & my musing from previous posts might better express the journey of this past year.

I thank you all for coming along with me and for the love and support shown our family throughout.

P.S. I've added some music for just a brief time so please have a quick listen while you watch! :)

16 comments:

Wanda said...

Oh Wow, Lisa, I am just mezmerized by your slideshow. gorgeous, gorgeous pictures of a truly beautiful family memorializing all the special moments of your sweet baby boy's first year with you.

Happy, happy Anniversary! Your joy in being his Mom is so touching and inspiring. He, of course, is a very special boy but the depth of feeling that you describe your experience of being his (and Lauren's) Mom is really staggering.

I just loved every picture. Thank you for sharing them all with us. And enjoy the first day of your second year as Tyler's Mom!

Hugs,
Wanda

momwithfaithandhope said...

Uggghhh, I can't see the slideshow at all that Wanta commented on???

Even without the photos, your words captured the true beauty and resilience of the past year.

You are right about him so quickly opening his heart up to you. That is such a blessing. I also appreciate you sharing that he grieved at night for the familar arms for comfort. I often think that Gracyn's adjustment has been more challenging because of her age. I don't celebrate Tyler's pain by any means. I appreciate the pain he felt and the pain that has been replaced by your love!

Just think - if he's come this far in a year, what will this year bring?!!! MORE fun, MORE joy, MORE of those BIG smiles with that adorable crazy boy hair!

Sarah said...

Happy anniversary to a loving family!

Shelly and Family said...

What a day to remember for always...Thank you for sharing :)

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

I can't see the slideshow either!! :-(

Regardless, this post is just beautiful Lisa. It brings so many of my own memories flooding back as well... I'm actually completely without words I'm so moved.

Happy Anniversary!!

rachel said...

wow, lisa, what a beautiful post! it brought tears to my eyes.

as i read Evie's most recent update about how she "reaches for familiar people" i thought about how we would be unfamiliar to her. my husband had the same reaction. E has been through so much - spending 1 mo with her birth mother, 3 mo in triage care, now 6 mo in the orphanage. the 3 mo in the triage care were not good. she was so malnourished. now she appears to be thriving and we are yet another change. ultimately a good change, but she doesn't know that. it's heartbreaking, really.

thank you for sharing your beautiful words yet again!

Jboo said...

What a sweet and loving post to your darling baby boy! Your slide show is so sweet! Congrats!
Thank you for you sweet comment on my blog!

Janet

The Hernandez Herd said...

What beautiful pictures. Those first few days are the best. I love the pictures when he is checking you out. How time flys so quickly. What a precious family. Thanks for sharing.Happy Forever Family Day!
Victoria

a Tonggu Momma said...

I'm always amazed at how we become families in an instant, but it takes time to "feel" like a family. Happy anniversary!

Mark & Kris said...

Wow! That was a beautiful post Lisa!! Happy One Year Anniversary!! Kris

Kelli said...

I really really enjoyed your slideshow, especially since i wasn't following your blog a year ago. It's neat to see all of the pictures and it bring backs my own memories. Happy happy anniversary!

Mama Shoe said...

Loved your reflections and slideshow, it gave me a quick glimpse into your last year. You all make a beautiful family! God bless you all!

Staci said...

Happy Anniversary! I can't believe it's already been a year. And look how much they have both grown up. Loved every single picture! You can tell they were meant to be soul mates. Tyler is the most beautiful boy. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Time sure does fly by. We will be celebrating 2 years in June. Happy day for you and your family.

Unspoken said...

Lisa, that slideshow is fantastic! Isn't it magical to hold our children :)!?

Sarah said...

I sent you an e-mail. If you don't get it tonight, be sure to e-mail me. I had a couple addresses for you and wanted to make sure you saw it. Hugs!