Thursday, November 6, 2008

Awareness......

November is National Adoption Awareness Month, with the last Saturday prior to Thanksgiving always being recognized as National Adoption Day is this country. How fitting that a day so close to Thanksgiving would raise awareness of adoption & celebrate the diversity, miracle & tremendous blessings of adoption. It matters not whether the adoption takes place domestically or on foreign soils; every adoption is unique and beautiful, forged in trust, faith and deep abiding love. It is a tribute to adoptive families everywhere that a month already cherished for its long standing traditions and focus on giving thanks would be designated as a month to honor forever families forged through the grace of adoption.


In celebration of this month, I wished to share a poem that truly resonated with me for its simplicity & beauty....


November..............
A time to gather and give thanks.
A time to give thanks for the blessings of adoption.
Remembering those who are daily blessed by adoption.
And those who make adoption possible.


I give thanks this month and each and every day for the 2 angels who have blessed us beyond compare. My words don't fail me often, but it is simply impossible to adequately express how their very existence has gifted us beyond measure. One child home in our loving arms.......another equally loved & eagerly awaited from afar........


I also give thanks for our loving and supportive families, who truly are the champions of our hearts and are equally devoted and crazy about these amazing kiddos! I give thanks for our friends, both near and far, who provide steady support and faith, while our family journeys along its twists and turns. Emails, phone calls, letters, gifts, visits........each one tethering us & shoring us up during the more turbulent moments. I also give great thanks to my Yah** group, whose membership has offered tremendous support, humor, sanity, resources and best of all, unexpected friendship. I am in awe of these fellow adoptive families and their courage, acceptance and faith. Equally valued are the fellow bloggers I have been privileged to communicate with since creating this site. Their giving natures, kindness, honesty & grace thrills me and provides a unique sense of fellowship in what can sometimes feel like a lonely journey, made so much less so by this incredible community.



I have much to be thankful for!









4 comments:

Sarah k said...

yes yes.. most definitely!!! We are grateful for Jer and Jo! And all the wonderful children that will come home this year and forever more find their forever families!!! Thanks for reminding us all of this wonderful time!

Sarah k

QingLu Mama said...

Wow, Lisa. You always write such beautiful and moving posts. Great reminder of the amazing and special gifts our adopted children are, and our families and friends who so lovingly accept them.
I also wanted to thank you for always commenting on my blog. It always makes me smile to read your comments, and I appreciate it. I too am thankful for the unexpected friendships made though this adoption.
Jennifer

Journey to our baby said...

Wow, you said this so well. We are so fortunate to be blessed by adoption, and feel so lucky. Thank-you for this.

Yvonne Crawford said...

yes! A great post! We are so thankful here too!