Thursday, July 29, 2010

Road Trip and Tales from the......

Road Trip & Tales from the Potty! Plus a few other miscellaneous tidbits.

I'll start with the less obnoxious Road Trip :) and share that I will be away from bloggyland for the next week as I take the munchkins and head to my folks downstate. Unfortunately Scott can't tag along this time (but don't worry he gets to do some fun things too!) :) but our youngest niece will be joining us for the stay and to say we are all excited is putting it mildly! Though we moved a bit growing up, I have always considered this town ( our destination) my hometown. The pace is just different..........I almost always bump into an old friend from school, always find a few treasures that just have to come home with us :) and best of all we have uninterrupted fun time with Mimi & Papa! I suspect that they are just as excited to get their hands on these grandbabies too! They do a bit of spoiling too I might add......mostly I just try to look the other way! *grin*

Tales from the potty........O.K. so I did receive a few private emails wondering why I'm not more excited about Tyler's interest in potty training. LOL Well, I am....sort of. I mean sure, it would be swell to bid diapers a fond farewell ( though I really don't mind 'em most of the time!) and probably a cost saver too! And of course I won't hold him back if he's truly ready......but that's just it ~ I still can't tell if he IS REALLY & TRULY ready or just curious about the whole froggy potty and celebration thing. So we have been testing the waters, following his lead a bit..............at this point he is successful going about once, maybe twice a day; he asks however to use his potty about 25 times a day.....yes, that's a minimum. Now please know that for the first 6 or 7 requests I honestly don't mind removing said diaper, clothing, etc. and reading him copious books while he tries. I read to him a lot, so this isn't so different.....right? Except it is or rather it can be! I have also begun to suspect a bit of mischievous manipulation at work, especially when he announces just before nap or bedtime (or insert something he doesn't wish to do!) that its "potty time" and OH BOY is he grinning too! And because I don't wish for this to become a power struggle or be associated with anything negative, I usually oblige......25 times or so a day! LOL (well that might be a slight exaggeration in numbers, but there are days it sure does feel like it!)

Sooooooooooooo where does this leave us? Moving forward, slowly but surely. I have no doubt he will get it....I know he will. Lauren trained very early and very easily; all my friends told me right away that boys train much later, so I suppose this is simply a matter of getting into the mindset and establishing a routine. But don't be surprised if there are a few more installments of Tales from the Potty before its all said and done! But please don't worry.....I will try to keep them G rated!

Finally, several of my bloggy buddies also noticed that Tyler had a haircut recently and yes, I was remiss in posting about it! His first official cut early last Fall was such a disaster.....he was so upset and it just broke my heart. AND his hair grows SUPER fast....hence the look we have been sporting all summer long dubbed by another blog buddy as: his surfer baby look! :)

But last week the pressure became too much for Daddy when one too many kindly ladies told us that our baby girl was just beautiful. :) Not an exaggeration.......and suddenly we found ourselves at the salon. AND? Not a tear.....not a whimper ( thank heavens!) and he seemed to almost enjoy his cut! He was so proud and told each and every customer present or approaching the business that he, "got hairs cut.......no cry". We were all SO proud and big Sis even helped out by getting her hair trimmed up too! Which somehow made her look even older to me......*sob*

Its still not a perfect cut; I'm convinced that isn't possible with a busy toddler, but we adore the hairdresser and at least our little guy can see again! ;) Yep, those bangs were getting a bit long.......and no tears!! Yippee!

Chances are we will let it grow out a bit again..........we got it a bit short in the back and those pesky cowlicks have returned..........but of course we love him in any hair, anytime!

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend/week ahead and I will be anxious to check back in with you all when we return!!

XOXO

16 comments:

michelle said...

Good luck with the potty training. Today out of the blue, Lexie gave me her changing pad and lay on it for me to change her diaper. Is this the beginning?? I will miss your beautiful posts while you're gone, but have a great time with the grandparents and hope to see lots of pictures. Take care!

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

OK - we're coming to you to get our next haircut and T can show S the ropes... 'kay?! Cause your scene sounded a whole lot better than mine!

And, oh, the potty. Oh, the potty! We have a similar situation here. And, it's a tad bit annoying to this Mama. I feel like I spend all day in the guest bath some days! And, I really don't feel that Spencer is ready ... but gosh, I don't want to discourage it. Sigh. I feel for you Mama... and I definitely don't think you are inflating that 25 number at all! Some days I think he asks 10 times an hour! ;-)

minime0910 said...

Yay for your sweet, handsome, almost potty trained boy!!! Your potty training post gives me hope that maybe by next years Kazapalooza we will be sans diapers as well. Have a great trip with your folks!!

于庭吳 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wanda said...

Lisa,

Been in and out myself and I'll be out again for awhile. Summer road trips....yeah!

Loved that the haircut worked better this time. I think even a buzz cut would still look adorable on that sweeeeeet face!

Have a great time visiting. We'll catch up when we all get back!!

Hugs,
W

LivingSimply, SimplyLiving said...

I am right there with you on the potty training frontier..lol..
Sweet LeeLee needs to be trained...her 2nd b'day on July
29th made that OFFICIAL:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Yay glad the cut hairs went so well~LOL I thought for sure our first haircut would be ugly but as you saw it went very well....they do surprise us huh??He is the most handsome boy with any cut!!

Hope you have a wonderful visit home with your parents. Sounds like fun.

Oh the tales of potty training. I so know I am not ready, and I have no idea what Miss H really thinks about it. I guess she is learning the sensations and about 22 times a day she tells me she is "poopy" which is usually never the case. I think because now she knows how it feels to go potty she tells me each time. So we have gone from hating to have our diaper changed to asking about every 10 min or so~LOL Then she always wants me to show her the diaper....hmmmm?? what is that about??

Look forward to your stories when you return.

Kelli said...

Good luck with the potty training. The 25 times a day (and it probably feels like it's that often!) sound like the perfect stall tactic Aiden hasn't discovered yet. Shhhh Tyler, don't tell!

The Hernandez Herd said...

I love Tylers new cut. We have the opposite problem. I one more lady calls Genevieve a boy, I will loose it. She is always in a dress, hairbows , and earings? Her hair will not grow fast enogh. Good luck with the potty. I am clueless with boys? Victoria

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
rachel said...

LISA! you are sooo lucky! jude was 3 and 4 months when he potty trained. Indi is 3 and 4 months right now and no dice. but we are working on it. my kids had no interest whatsoever at an early age. i have to admit, at this point i am tired of two in diapers.

QingLu Mama said...

Yep... pokey slow is my name!
I read this a while ago but just got back to post!

Hoping your vacation is/was just fantastic. Oh come on...I KNOW it was and just can't wait to see pics of those darling kiddos!

And I totally get what you say about your hometown...I feel soo much the same (in fact posted about it...too funny!) But seriously...photos are what I'm waiting for!

And I am impressed with Tyler's potty training! Yep it's hard to "waste" time 100 times a day but wow...when he's got it down it'll be so worth it! Such a smart fellow!

Okay...I promise a return email this week!
Hugs my dear pal!
Jen

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unspoken said...

You are so cute! Tales from the Potty! Love it. Good luck!