Monday, November 15, 2010

Race Matters: One and a Half

First I wish to thank you all for your warm, supportive and encouraging remarks regarding my last post. I read many of them to Lauren and she was shyly pleased, and a bit perplexed about why such a fuss was made about something that happened "so long ago". :) For me, its always a bit of an exhale, as I can't help but wonder how certain posts or messages will be received, especially the ones of a more personal nature. I had held on to this memory for so long and it was intriguing to go back and read again that snapshot moment and reflect on it through not just my own musings but through the lens of all of you, as you contributed through your shared insights and commentary. Always I am left grateful for this collective community and what a compassionate and powerful community at that!

Why then is this post titled One and a Half?

I could have just as readily titled this: What I Wish I Had Also Said, as I feel a lingering sense of unfinished business with this one.

Shortly after publishing my last post, I received an anonymous comment from a fellow adoptive Mama who wanted to reach out, but didn't wish to have her comment actually published. With no email to respond to and no way to trace back to her, only her anguish was left for me to consider. In her comment she shared that her daughter, also adopted Internationally and roughly Lauren's same age, was not handling similar issues and questions in a way that she felt was appropriate. Or not in the same way that Lauren had done so that summer before last. And I............well, I was left saddened and a bit thunderstruck. In my words, she imagined that she had found a formula or litmus for how our precious babies should respond and feared that she had somehow failed to discover it.

In truth she broke my heart just a bit. That my words caused such consternation and grief for another, albeit unintentionally...........well, words don't fail me often, but this once they did.

So for this sweet Mama and anyone else who may have felt similarly, I want to share a bit more ~ what I should have maybe said before.

That each child is vastly different and will approach these types of situations in equally varied ways. That what might feel right for one child, may not be right for another.

That there is truly no right or wrong response and measuring one child's response to another or looking for a standard from which to measure future outcomes just doesn't exist.

That our daughter while only 6 (at that time) was just 4 months shy of turning 7 and that every. single. month. can make a difference.

That she has always been a bit of an old soul, touched with a flair and tendency for the romantic. Notions of hearts and a faraway land called Taiwan would have suited her fancy in much the same way a child being raised Catholic would have felt comfortable mentioning God to a son of another Catholic family. Lauren and A were not just classmates in public school but also in Religious Education. They shared a common foundation of faith.

That I believe she was able to share of her heart so freely, without measuring each word in fear of judgement because she was standing among children and only children; where friendship was mutual and innocence reigned. Had I rushed in or had A's Mom been present, I suspect her response may have been quite different. All of their responses.

And while I was careful to say that this was a snippet........and but a moment in time, I should have better emphasized that a 6 year olds perspective on Race Matters may not remain static and that same perspective may look different at age 8 or 10 or through adulthood. How could it not?

That while this remains the ONLY time I witnessed Lauren being asked to affirm her sibling status to Tyler due to their differing physical characteristics, that I have observed her handling of other intrusive adoptive queries by strangers ( or friends ) and that sometimes she stumbles or elects to deflect or simply stand behind me, her Mama, wishing for me to handle it. And I do.......though that's a work in progress also. :)

AND that I'm proud of her each and every time, no matter her response or lack thereof. Because sometimes not using your voice says just as much.

That we can do our best. That we can arm our children with techniques, tools, strategies and confidence for coping and that it still might not be enough. Or not all the time or for every scenario anyways. Over the years I have been stumped on more than one occasion when confronted with the absurd ,so imagine how it must be for our precious Littles.

That while our love for them might be color blind ( and so BIG!), sadly the world might seek to label them otherwise. The trick then is finding the right balance for each child and at any given time. And that will probably look very different for each family and child.

That I'm always learning and trying to do better too.

That her daughter is probably right where she needs to be in her own journey.

That all of these miracle children deserve celebration. No. Matter. What.

Oh yes, I would have also sent a great big virtual hug too ( cuz I'm known to do that!) and reminded her that she's not alone........never alone in this crazy and amazing thing called Parenthood!

Pssst.......yes, I still hope to add one more installment to my Race Matters series (the one I intended to originally post); but I promise, just one more!!! Scout's honor. :)

12 comments:

michelle said...

I wholeheartedly agree that every child and the makeup of each situation is very different. As a parent, you only can do what you can to instill the values that you wish your child to hold in their hearts because in the end, they will approach each situation in their own unique way.

As a parent and a teacher, I have a bad habit of comparing my daughter to other children her age. Many times, I have to step back and be appreciative of her wonderful qualities and know that she's her own person and developing and growing at her own pace.

I am also very grateful for this wonderful community of bloggy friends that I've found through international adoption. The support and wonderful feedback has been such an additional benefit to adopting my daughter.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Absolutely! Children (people) are vastly different from one another... there is no one right way for them to handle tough situations, nor is there one right thing to say. If what was spoken was true, and both children walked away feeling positive about the conversation, then that is enough.

We can do our best to impart our values onto our children, but - in the end - they are there own little people. They have their own beliefs, and they are still growing and learning every day.

Jennifer said...

Once again, beautifully written.

minime0910 said...

I think this post really personifies the old saying it takes a village. as adoptive parents, we have to lean on each other and our community for guidance --especially when it comes to tough situations. we are all in it together

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

I have tears in my eyes reading this. As some of your other readers have mentioned... It really does take a community to raise our littles and to give each other perspective. Sometimes that's not always a blessing. I work really hard to NOT compare S to others all the time. And it's hard. Especially whe he isn't measuring up. But I honestly can't imagine raising him without my virtual community at hand.
I hope your reader finds peace with where her child is... Cause you are right... It's exactly the right place!

Lisa said...

Lisa,
Your words are always the truth, and I wouldn't worry so much about what you should have said. That mom reached out because she maybe sees a problem. Believe me working in a racially diverse school as I do, with children 5-12 years old, it amazes me the way some children are so "predjudice" against a race not their own- or ignorant is more like it- but you can just hear their parents talking when they say something. It also amazes me how "color blind" other children are. Each child is so vastly different, but we have to give them the tools to repsond how we want them to respond. Please take credit also as a great mommy for the way Lauren answered her question. YOU ARE THE BEST.
Lisa

QingLu Mama said...

Lisa, you wrote a beautiful post about a moment that touched you. Yes Lauren handled it amazingly and sure there may be times she doesn't have such a response because each situation is different.
And each child is as well. We as parents give them the tools they may need, teach them to use the tools and hope the way they use them works best for them.
Her response could have/should have been different if asked by a complete stranger...
The fact is at that moment she got it...she understood something as huge as adoption, sibling love and family make-up (subjects many adults can't always grasp) and expressed her thoughts in a way we as adults admire. She showed that the tools she was given were put to good use, and she truly reflected how deep her thoughts can run.
Each child is different and I too wondered how my Simone would have responded, would she have shrugged her shoulders or gone into great detail...?

Thanks for sharing both the original post and the follow up. I hope your reader knows that all of us adoptive families are in the same boat and we are all here for her!

Hugs my friend
Jen

The Hernandez Herd said...

"Ditto" to what Jen said. She said it so well.
Victoria

Also , Laura had such a quick response from having such great parents. I know it is very hard to take credit when our children do well.

Wanda said...

My dear friend, couldn't possibly add another word to this sage grouping. Other than....right on!

{{{hugs and more hugs}}}

Kelli said...

Very well said and oh so true! And great words from all of the commentors (or is it commenters?) before me!

Katie said...

Well said again Lisa! Since your last post I have been thinking more about how I handle these questions in front of the kiddos and asked the older kids if they get many questions from friends and talked about options to respond or not respond.

Maybe by the time D has questions I may know what I am doing! Probably not, but at least I will have had much practice by then.

momwithfaithandhope said...

So, my friend, I am so extremely behind in blog land, I have to yet to read through your recent posts in their entirety. I did however read about "A" and your beautifully sweet and extremely sharp Lauren. I'm so stinkin' proud of her. Never even met this child in person, but can't wait to. Can't wait to meet her Mama too. Someone sure is raisin' this girl RIGHT. Hugs to you.