Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thank You, Thanksgiving

Oh Thanksgiving, such a sweet little respite before it all........begins. :)

I intended to share a peek back at Thanksgiving memories of past but instead find myself solidly rooted in the present, keenly aware of all that our family has to be thankful for, both on Thanksgiving Day and every day.

Our days have been so busy of late ( and doesn't it seem like I'm always writing and/or saying that now?!?) but very sweet. We have been relishing and taking full advantage of a very mild Autumn. To watch Little Man splashing in his rain boots in only a light coat yesterday morning is nothing short of amazing........pure bliss. Oh, I know Winter is coming and I welcome aspects of that Season too. But gracious ,this has been a gorgeous season and we have endeavored to make THE VERY MOST of it as only Midwesterners really can! (and maybe our friends to the North too!) :)

And I'm so behind on posting the oodles of photos I have been wanting to share! You all might still see pumpkins and skeletons peeking out from behind my kiddos in December if I ever get around to actually piecing those posts together. LOL

But if you came to my doorstep today you wouldn't find a trace or hint of Autumn. We bid farewell to the last remnants this past weekend, taking advantage of another gentle late afternoon and welcoming our Christmas cheer.....at least on the front porch!

Years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of bumping my pumpkins and gourds from their spot of honor before Thanksgiving but it seems that, like most other things, our family too was eager to leap into the Season & squeek out as many days of twinkle lights as possible!

Inside the house I caved in too. Yes, I did. Our big tree is up, festooned with its lights ~ but NO decorations yet. I stamped my foot right down on that, feeling quite smug in my self control, only to suggest this very afternoon that it might be fun for each kiddo to decorate their miniature trees and Lauren's petite bedroom tree. *sigh* Just call me Target or Wal-mart( well, I sort of prefer Target then I suppose).......LOL.......clearing the debris from one holiday before its even begun to make room for the next!

But gosh was it fun watching Lauren admire her diminutive pretties, some from her very first Christmas with us and little Tyler thrilling at each successful ornament placed on its perch, no matter how unsteady it might have sat!

And hey! I did insist on NOT bringing out the classic Christmas DVD's. I mean, I do have standards ya know! And we read every single Thanksgiving book we own today. Twice! :)

So here I sit, with handmade Turkeys vying for attention ( and space) with the first few trinkets of Christmas; there will be more to come, as Turkeys get tucked away and Christmas treasures unearthed from their basement slumber. Honestly? I can't wait!!!

There's also one more confession I need to make: we took the kids to see Santa this past Saturday. I know...I know. More to share, photos and all, on that one ~ but can I just say that walking right up, with no wait (no line!!), no fidgeting kiddos and overheated husbands AND witnessing our tiny guy hop right up beside Santa with no hesitation.........well, it was mighty darn magical even IF it IS still November. Ho Ho Gobble?? *grin*

And our attempt at taking our traditional Christmas card photo? Ummmm....let's just say its a work in progress and there's good news! It seems I will have another post of "outtakes" to share much like last year........cuz getting them both to look(and not appear constipated or in pain) in the same general direction AND smile AND have outfits coordinated, smoothed and wrinkle free?.........yeah, this year I might just settle for coordinating outfits!

And that brings me to my only grievance to share tonight. I do believe that at least one of you *ahem* or more ( you know who you are!) were supposed to remind me to begin taking said Holiday photo in June this year OR seek professional help as needed. Somehow I missed that memo friends. :) But its okay, cuz even if you had sent word in June, I probably would have been secretly eyeballing our Halloween (decoration) tubs down in our basement and would have missed it anyways! ;)

And, I'm going to be offline for most of the coming long weekend, so I'll wish you all a blessed & yummy Turkey weekend now. I'll be anxious to get caught back up with you all again soon!

Of course I can't close a Thanksgiving post without sharing a bit of sugar.

How thankful I am for these two: for his dimpled grin and belly laughs and her quick wit and huge heart. For his exuberance and her flair. For all that they are and because I wake up each day, not just on Thanksgiving, grateful for the gift of them. Just so happy to be their Mama.









Thank you, Thanksgiving!

17 comments:

michelle said...

We hung our Christmas decorations on our fence about a week ago. Just like you, I feel that Thanksgiving is already a fleeting memory even if it hasn't happened yet. In protest, I refuse to put up our tree until I've had some turkey.

How did Tyler do with Santa? Everytime I'm at the mall, I walk by Santa and try to see how Lexie reacts. She doesn't like men with facial hair, so I don't know how she'll do with the white beard.

We just took our Christmas pictures. You would think with a photographer for a husband we would be more on the ball. The hardest part was getting a family picture and trying to get Lexie and the doggies to look forward. The trick was throwing poor Mickey Mouse towards the camera and lo and behold everyone was looking!

Lisa, have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your munchkins. I'm so thankful for your friendship!

Andrea and Jeff said...

Hi Lisa!

Lauren and Tyler are beautiful. Thanks so much for all of the support as you followed our adoption trip to get Clara. We are so in love with this child and Liah is being a fantastic big sister. She told me that she that it is her turn to send Lauren a card so we will do this soon. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

Andrea

Shirley H. said...

Am excited to see your family Christmas photo! Hope they turn well for you.. =) Happy Thanksgiving in advance!

Anonymous said...

That whole wonderful post, complete with cute pictures, and all I took away was, "Thanksgiving books? There are Thanksgiving books?" Heh. Beautiful writing, as always, accompanied by beautiful children. And I think there's no law about when you can start celebrating the biggest holiday of the year. Start in July if you like. Soon enough the kids will be too old for Santa's lap and won't be as excited to decorate their trees. You might as well get as much mileage as you can out of these wonder-filled years.

Katie said...

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! My kids also wanted to put up the tree this week. I am holding off but know I will lose the fight soon...

Room for More said...

Happy Thanksgiving sweet friend! I am always thankful for you support over the years! ((HUGS))

Tracy Ann said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your beautiful family!

LivingSimply, SimplyLiving said...

Happy, Happy Thanksgiving to your family..
if you are on facebook..request me...I am having a hard time maintaing both and fb just seems so much quicker...
but I will come around to read your blog as I have grown to love seeing your beautiful kids and reading your heartfelt stories...

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Hayden's boyfriend just gets cuter and cuter!! How seriously cute does he look dimples peeking out from behind that cute hat!!!
Lauren as always a beauty with that darling smile and always dressed so cute(I mean cool)

Girl I have totally gone WT, not only are the outdoor lights up.... H talked me into turning them on tonight!! Yep they are on and most of the decs are up inside(tree tomorrow hopefully).

Hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving, and look forward to the pics to come!!

I am grateful every day!!'

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Can you hear me guffawing right now?! Oh, and I do mean guffawing...

Guess what?! We've seen Santa too! (shhhh...) And while the holiday decor is not out the cards are stamped and ready to go, the shopping is *almost* done, and the tree has been tagged. Wait, what do you mean there's another holiday first?! Huh? ;-)

Seriously, last year was so insane between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I've moved a bunch of my holiday deadlines up so I can SAVOR the SEASON. Let's see if it works. :-)

minime0910 said...

We are already in full on Xmas mode over here, decorations, carols, Santa pics, the works. I am using the excuse "she wasn't here last xmas so we are making up for lost time!" Lisa ~ send me your address so I can send you a xmas card (a month early...haha) and have a WONDERFUL turkey day! Gobble Gobble!

Wanda said...

Happy Thanksgiving sweet family!! I love how your heart just bursts through each post. Have a wonderful week-end!!!

Hugs,
W

Kelli said...

You are one lucky mama! Such beautiful blessings. Happy Thanksgiving!

rachel said...

love your enthusiasm for the season! we just got our tree up tonight and i am looking at our mish mash of Christmas and Thanksgiving decorations intermixing! :/

your two are blessings indeed.

Unspoken said...

I am looking forward to the season. Jane is sooo excited about Santa this year. last year she was afraid! Bring on the picts, Lisa!

Staci said...

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with you beautiful little blessings! They are so adorable and growing up so fast! Tyler is so tall. Thank u for being such a wonderful bloggy friend :)

QingLu Mama said...

What a fun filled post!
We have been traveling this Thanksgiving so I am totally out of the loop and way behind on all things. So I am wishing you a belated Thanksgiving and just knowing it was wonderful for you and your family!

And I do understand the desire to get the twinkle out early, that holiday magic for your little ones to witness. In time that won't be as impressive for them and the boo & gobble stuff will find it's way back for longer....

And those precious photots you left us with...perfection!
You do have so much to be thankful for, each and every day!

Jen