Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Race Matters

A few months after arriving home with Baby Tyler we found ourselves winding down Lauren's Kindergarten year with a trip to our local pool on an unseasonably steamy day in late May. Tyler was around 10 months at the time and spent the majority of his time gazing with keen interest and delight at the children splashing, the gurgling fountains and the general mayhem that you might expect between the borders of the zero depth and the deep end rope. Sprinkle in the palpable energy of the school year nearly being completed, summer looming large AND the pool only having been opened for a day or so......and well, you can probably imagine with clarity then (me) standing in waist deep water, with baby cradled at my side, about 10 feet from Lauren who was frolicking and swimming with a friend or 2 from class.

10 feet, otherwise known as the distance deemed acceptable to an "almost First Grader, you know Mama" who was anxious to strut a bit and honestly was/is a capable swimmer. So there I stood, swaying as I'm known to do (it comes so naturally now that I'm pretty sure I do this even when NOT holding a baby!) delighting in both children, one discovering a bit of independence and one just blissed out "discovering". **So sets the scene of this particular moment, forever now in my mind & heart.**

A short time later I heard (and was liberally sprinkled by crashing sprinkles of water spray) a classmate joyfully shout out to Lauren as he thrashed his way to her spot near the middle of the activity pool. I remember smiling a bit to myself and wiping a few water droplets from my face, thankful that the baby didn't take the full affects of the dousing, but beyond that my thoughts were just a lazy jumble of the day to day contentment & fluff. I may have even drifted a bit closer to the 10 foot zone, unintentionally breaching it, caught up in my murmurings to Tyler.

Because of that I don't really know what prompted the conversation I shortly became aware of between Lauren and her friend from class. (we'll call him "A") But it went something like this and is forever etched in my memory........

A: Is that your brother over their with your Mom?

Lauren: Yes, that's Tyler.

A: Is he really your brother?

Lauren:(surprised) Yes.

A: (almost with suspicion ) How come his eyes look like that? And why is his hair so dark? He doesn't look like you.

Side Bar ~ its interesting to note here that this little boy had seen us several times before within the classroom, at various school functions and at church events without showing any outward interest towards us during previous encounters. And he's honestly a very sweet boy.

It's also notable that one of Lauren's close friends was also standing there and was becoming increasingly upset with" A "and looked extremely stricken to Lauren's outward calm.

Lauren: (after a long pause in which clearly she was deciding what to say, how to say it and perhaps marshaling her wits a bit too) Tyler brought his hair and eyes with him from Taiwan and that's the way God wanted him to look. On the inside we are the same. Our hearts say...... brother & sister. (smiling...satisfied)

A: (still looking doubtful) Ummm....

Lauren: (sporting that mischievous twinkle) Besides you don't look like your brother at all either. ( totally accurate observation!)

A: (eyes wide) Hey yeah! I think he brought those with him from ........(insert the suburb next to us where he was born) too!! :)

Lauren: That's cool.

Lauren's friend: (seemingly relieved) Come on guys, let's play.

Lauren/A: Yeah!

And off they went, having tackled a topic with raw honesty and grace that many adults still struggle mightily with; a set of perceptions regarding Race (and in many ways adoption also) as witnessed by three 6 year old children ....one moment in time, but with ripples & implications nonetheless.

I remember standing there, frozen momentarily in that very sea of swirling ripples, with tears glistening and threatening to spill over. Watching with heightened intensity, thoughts no longer ambling, but sharp and focused, as one child innocently slept, nestled in the crook of my arm and oblivious to nuances of Race while another shrieked and splashed with her friends and WAS mindful of, or reminded by others that Race Matters.............even when it doesn't to a proud Big Sister.

Edit to Add: I hesitated to post this without a bit of disclaimer. Please know that prior to that encounter at the pool we had discussed issues of Race, ethnic identity , heritage and many related tangents candidly with Lauren. We also had worked steadily to arm her with an understanding that while folks might have the "right" ( or nerve!) to ask questions that might seem personal or inappropriate, she had the same right to measure her responses through deflection, humor, redirection, by answering directly if comfortable doing so or by simply ignoring a question. Empowering her to make those decisions for the moments we knew would come when one of us wasn't present for support. Empowering her so she would always have a voice or a choice.

Ultimately this was a true reflection of a little girl's earnest and beautiful heart at age 6.

November marks among other things, Adoption Awareness Month and I share this recollection in celebration of these 2 children who have blessed our lives beyond measure and well beyond our wildest dreams. Also in remembrance of those children who still await loving arms and Big Sisters (or Brothers!) to champion their innocence.

Finally, this will be part one of two Race Matters posts as I wish to share a more recent thread on this topic as seen through the lens of a now Second Grader but fear it would be too large to post as one!!! :) I think we have already established that I am a bit long winded. LOL

21 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow... she said this at SIX?!?! I could only hope that my daughter could have this in her heart and feel comfortable saying it at age six.

Lou Ann said...

Out of the mouths of babes....and she couldn't have said it better. I may borrow her words for Lexie when the time comes. Well done Mom & Dad!

Lou Ann & Lexie too

michelle said...

Lauren is just wise beyond her years. And I also give kudos to you, Lisa, because you are raising a sensitive, charming, intelligent, and gracious young lady. And sometimes it is our little ones that really see things much clearer than us adults.

Lisa said...

As usual your way with telling a story leaves the reader wanting more. I am always amazed when a child speaks with the wisdom of those much older. She answered without making the other child loose his dignity. I love this! I Lisa

LivingSimply, SimplyLiving said...

What a beautiful poignant post. Lauren was amazing with her answer. As a mom I can feel your pain at such comments..I recently posted about my son being made fun of for being Chinese..It is such a painful thing for a parent to witness..but all we can do is arm them with words...although the hubs would like to arm him with this fists..lol...
Looking forward to your other post on race:) Love reading your blog as well..brings a smile to my face everytime:)))

Jennifer said...

This is beautiful and amazing Lisa! First of all, congrats and kudos to you for raising such a smart and well informed little girl. Secondly, wow! Lauren actually said that?!? She is a brilliant little girl. Maybe she'll be a diplomat. ;-)

Truly though, this speaks volumes about you as a parent and how you've handled these types of situations in the past in front of her. You have every right to be proud of your daughter AND yourself.

Katie said...

Again, well said. I look forward to hearing more.

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Lauren! Nicely handled! And way to go Lisa, giving your daughter the tools to deal with this line of questioning so well!

rachel said...

oh.my.goodness. amazing! i absolutely love it. what an insightful little girl L is! what beautiful sentiments. you're doing a great job, mama!

Wanda said...

Oh wow Lisa - I am blown away by the amazingly clever response by Lauren at age 6. Clearly you and her Dad have armed her very well and she was prepared. Good for her and good on you!!!

Looking forward to part two. Bring it on. This was a powerful post, my friend!
xoxo

Kelli said...

I think you already know this but you have a beautiful and amazing little girl. This story brought tears to my eyes- such a wise little girl. Obviously she has some fantastic parents too!

minime0910 said...

What a beautiful heart that little girl has. I am constantly astounded by the wisdom of children; we could all learn something from her wise words. Your children are both amazing inside and out. Can't wait to read post 2!!! XOXOXO Erin and Hannah

Christine @ 12,450miles said...

Wow. I'm speechless. Truly, I sit here amazed and humbled by your little girl. Thank you for sharing this.

lorabelle said...

I just love your baby girl...
She is simply amazing!

QingLu Mama said...

What a lovely post, Lisa.
I am awed and touched by Lauren's response. As innocent as the questioning was it was still an invasion into your private lives and she handled it with both grace and poise.

What an amazing thing to say...at 6! It shows that you've worked with her well, prepping for such an occasion.

But it also shows what a deep and thoughtful soul L has. To grasp the question and then answer in a way that showed her love for her brother and her family. as well as giving a reply that didn't make the other child feel bad! Well done!

Loved this post, it brought tears to my eyes and also gave me goosebumps. We all hope that our little ones will grow up not only with an understanding of race and how they fit in with thier families, but with pride in it as well!

Jen

rachel said...

love this post! had to read it again, this time to dan!

i asked Indigo today, "what would you say if someone asked you if Evie was your sister?" she said, "I'd say, yes, she's my sister." (like duh, mom!). so then i asked, "well what if they said you didn't look very much alike?" she said, "I'd say, 'that's because she's from Ethiopia.'" (again, like, duh!) haha

Mama Shoe said...

What a perfect answer! She has maturity beyond her years. Beautiful way to explain it to another child. (I'm sure she was taught very well!)

Unspoken said...

Lisa,

BRAVO to you. You have prepared her heart. I hope I can do as well with Jane! Sweet Lauren.

Tracy Ann said...

I loved reading this. What a wise, sweet girl Lauren is.
She answered better than I would have. Look forward to reading more.

Tracy

Pink Velvet Mommy said...

Oh Miss L has learned so well and so much from her sweet mama! I am not sure better or truer words could have been found or spoken. Hurray for Lauren and for Tyler having a rock star for a big sister!!

We as parents must be armed to teach our children adopted or not to understand, embrace and advocate for race and diversity!! We are all the same on the inside and if we teach are children to look for the good of people on the inside and stop worrying what we see on the outside we would live in a more peaceful world.

I think self confidence is crucial and we work every day to promote a good one for H!! So with that confidence and knowing that there will be times that she must address our
differences that we will have prepared her with the words to do it as gracefully as your beautiful little!!

They never cease to amaze us huh??

Wonderful post!! I will look forward to the next installment:)

4texans said...

Wow, your daughter really is an old soul. It's amazing how well kids can handle such situations with poise.